PDA

View Full Version : Designer Pro And Add-On Modules

MechKelly
03-13-2021, 07:57 AM
It's becoming pretty clear that the Designer Basic isn't going to allow me to do some of the projects that I would like to. I want to upgrade but the add-on modules and Designer Pro aren't cheap. Just wanted to get some opinions on what the most important upgrades are and if the Designer Pro includes any of the features of the add-ons or what other benefits it offers.

Dale
03-13-2021, 10:37 AM
That's a hard question to answer, it all depends on what you want to do. I would suggest downloading the trial version of Designer Pro and the add ons and playing with them. There are many tutorials on the Carvewright site for the add ons that would help also.

DickB
03-14-2021, 06:07 PM
Yes, please elaborate on what you would like to do in your projects.

lynnfrwd
03-15-2021, 04:18 PM
Pro does NOT have any add-on modules included in the license. They are available separately. Look here to determine which one you need: https://www.carvewright.com/add-on-modules/

fwharris
03-18-2021, 12:40 PM
All add on modules will work in the Basic version.

lynnfrwd
03-18-2021, 01:50 PM
All add on modules will work in the Basic version.

Some have features that are not available unless you have the newer versions, such as ability to connect Pattern Sculptor and Designer. Also, the rotary jig requires Designer PRO.

See side by side comparison here: http://www.carvewright.com/project-designer/

MechKelly
03-18-2021, 03:17 PM
I'm looking mostly to do projects such as decorative boxes or signs. Nothing too over the top. And I'm curious what features you get with Pro versus what you get with individual add ons. Also if anyone has any previous experience with an add on that they got the most use out of.

lynnfrwd
03-19-2021, 11:48 AM
I'm looking mostly to do projects such as decorative boxes or signs. Nothing too over the top. And I'm curious what features you get with Pro versus what you get with individual add ons. Also if anyone has any previous experience with an add on that they got the most use out of.

No add-on modules are in the PRO version. There are only upgrades to some add-ons in the PRO version. PRO does include many features that are not in Basic or in any of the modules. See side by side comparison linked below.

I would say Centerline & Conforming Vectors are the most used, especially if doing signs.

Each module has a different purpose, so it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

fwharris
03-19-2021, 07:59 PM
Some have features that are not available unless you have the newer versions, such as ability to connect Pattern Sculptor and Designer. Also, the rotary jig requires Designer PRO.

See side by side comparison here: http://www.carvewright.com/project-designer/

Yes I know this, point this to the person asking the question so that they can view the side by side features.

DickB
03-20-2021, 06:46 AM
I would suggest Centerline and Conforming Vectors for signs as suggested by lynnfrwd. I would hold off on purchasing Pro until you find that you need it, unless budget is not an issue. That said, one feature in Pro that is nice for signs is the Select Material function, which allows textures to be applied to carve regions. This can provide a more interesting background to text than a plain flat carve region.

shortyscwater17
03-29-2021, 07:34 AM
So when it comes to the Centerline Text and Conforming Vectors add-ons, does that significantly reduce the carve time? Like does it travel back and forth on the X-axis or does the X and Y work together to carve out each letter in stroke?

DickB
03-29-2021, 08:51 AM
It can reduce carve time, and yes the X and Y work together with Centerline.

The attached examples are on a 12" x 6" board. Centerline time is 3:34 and Raster 6:31.

88650 88651

If these were placed in a Carve Region, Centerline with Conforming Vectors will take more time. This is because the Raster Text and Carve Region are done as one operation, but Centerline will be a second operation after the region is carved. Centerline 18:09 and Raster 12:41 in the examples.

88652 88653

shortyscwater17
03-29-2021, 12:45 PM
Thank you so much. I think after a payday or 2, I’m going to pull the trigger on this one and vectors. I want to get into sign making so I think these will be great to have on hand.

It can reduce carve time, and yes the X and Y work together with Centerline.

The attached examples are on a 12" x 6" board. Centerline time is 3:34 and Raster 6:31.

88650 88651

If these were placed in a Carve Region, Centerline with Conforming Vectors will take more time. This is because the Raster Text and Carve Region are done as one operation, but Centerline will be a second operation after the region is carved. Centerline 18:09 and Raster 12:41 in the examples.

88652 88653

DickB
03-29-2021, 03:11 PM
Stimulus check? ;)

spalted
04-03-2021, 06:06 AM
Over the years I did end up with Pro and I think I have all the addons now.
It takes time before you really develop your style and figure out what you really end up liking to make, you may not need or want all the goodies after you get deeper in.
But for me I think Centerline text and the dxf importer ended up being my two most used features.
And I thought the stl importer was going to be the big one, and I really haven't used it as much as I initially thought I would. Nothing wrong with it, that's just how things developed for me, so you just never know in the beginning.
I use everything because I have it, but there are ways to work around not having some of those features.