PDA

View Full Version : Carving Fonts Final Results - Questions!

BSarte
11-20-2020, 06:22 AM
Since being a newbee to carving and getting the final results I am looking for, have a few questions hopefully someone can guide me to get the results I am looking for?

This is the first carving I have done, still using Basic software. This is a carving using Monotype Corsiva font with outline, depth is .25" on a .75" pine board which I filled in with resin then sanded. Looks OK to me but if I used Raster instead of outline would the letters be fully carved instead of the outline look?

Hate to waste a board to test it.

Also, using the resin to fill, are there any techniques to get the resin polished better? I have done my final sanding, wood is nice but the resin still shows sanding marks. I plan to hit this with a spray final coat of satin. Will that make the resin show more polished?

I am doing carvings for my family (total of 10 carvings) for Christmas presents.

dbemus
11-20-2020, 02:46 PM
I think your work looks excellent as is. To get full letters carved, use "centerline". Raster would give you raised letters, surrounded by a valley, not what you want. Sorry I cannot advise on resin techniques.

BSarte
11-20-2020, 03:04 PM
I think your work looks excellent as is. To get full letters carved, use "centerline". Raster would give you raised letters, surrounded by a valley, not what you want. Sorry I cannot advise on resin techniques.

Thanks, but I do not have the Centerline added to my CW program, on a budget right now.

DickB
11-30-2020, 11:53 AM
You can use raster and the Invert tool. Best with no feather and shallow depth.

Mugsowner
12-01-2020, 07:32 AM
The resin area is going to need a very fine paper to remove sanding marks. I would think it is a lot like acrylic, which requires very fine paper, to get scratches down to a point where the eye does not pick up on them.