PDA

View Full Version : Defining parts of an image imported?

BSarte
10-28-2020, 06:21 AM
I have an image that I imported and it is one big aspect to the pattern.

When I carve it I am using the 1/16" Carving bit, I set the depth to .35 which is what I want but when carving the pattern there are 2 small lines around the whole Chevrolet Bowtie that the bit angle makes very thin, thus not ending up the way it should be.

Is there a way to define parts of the imported image so I can set the width different? Or possibly use another bit for that portion of the carving?

DickB
10-28-2020, 10:30 AM
Please post the original image (or a link) and your mpc.

BSarte
10-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Please post the original image (or a link) and your mpc.

Here is the original image....

lynnfrwd
10-28-2020, 03:48 PM
Sounds like taper of the bit hits the line and makes it thin when it goes that deep. Add draft and bit optimization.

BSarte
10-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Sounds like taper of the bit hits the line and makes it thin when it goes that deep. Add draft and bit optimization.

Exactly my thoughts! I checked the pattern, both Draft & Bit Optimization were set to none. I set Bit Optimization to Best and Draft to Large. The Depth is set to .35" Would this be the best settings to alleviate this issue?

Should I still use the 1/16" Carving bit? If so, how does the taper on the bit still not do the same thing with these settings? Should I use another bit?

DickB
10-28-2020, 04:11 PM
I would not go that deep - .125" would be plenty.

lynnfrwd
10-28-2020, 04:21 PM
I would not go to .35 or use the Large Draft. Small draft with bit optimization best and 1/16" carving bit.

BSarte
10-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the input!

But back to my original question.....Is there a way in the software to define or select certain parts of an imported image?

lynnfrwd
10-28-2020, 05:53 PM
An image is imported as one unit. You cannot separate the pieces. You can use Pattern Editor or Pattern Sculptor to manipulate your imported (unlicensed) pattern.

fwharris
10-29-2020, 11:44 AM
An image is imported as one unit. You cannot separate the pieces. You can use Pattern Editor or Pattern Sculptor to manipulate your imported (unlicensed) pattern.

Or a photo editing program.

BSarte
10-30-2020, 05:59 AM
OK, so I decreased the depth to .2" and it made a considerable difference in how the bit carved those fine lines.

Next issue I would like to understand? I have been getting some scrap wood from people who have wood shops as I practice. The attached picture is the same pattern as the 1st one but with the depth decreased to .2" and it defined the fine lines much better but along all the carved lines it is fairly rough. I did a one pass with a small mop and it is still no where near as good an overall carving finish. Both carvings are on pine but the 2nd one the wood seems to not be as dense.

Could the issue with the carving being a rougher finish be the density of the wood even though they are both pine? Or could the bit be an issue?

Changes to the pattern were setting Bit Optimization to Best, Draft to Large, and depth from .35" to .20"

fwharris
10-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Yes the density/grain of the wood plays big part in how the carve turns out. Also the image and pattern... Now that you have tried this a couple of time look at this and the link in it to the large pattern sharing section. I believe there are several Chevy patterns in it that you might like. This is found from the main forum screen in the Patterns / Pattern sharing thread.

https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21181-Pattern-Sharing-Depot-Attachment-List&p=182823#post182823

BSarte
10-30-2020, 03:19 PM
Yes the density/grain of the wood plays big part in how the carve turns out. Also the image and pattern... Now that you have tried this a couple of time look at this and the link in it to the large pattern sharing section. I believe there are several Chevy patterns in it that you might like. This is found from the main forum screen in the Patterns / Pattern sharing thread.

https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21181-Pattern-Sharing-Depot-Attachment-List&p=182823#post182823

Thanks!

Being a newbee, I always have questions like that since I unsure about these things!