PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

MarkJamesDesign
04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I just took my CC out and set it up late last nite. I updated the software and the firmware to the card. Now do I need to update my machine with the card?

Next question:
I can't seem to get the bit adapter to go into the chuck. I have tried to **** the chuck as the manual states but not working. Does the machine have to be on with card installed and project selected for the machine to index to the front and request the bit or are you supposed to be able to remove and replace the bit at any time even when the machine is not on?

Jeff_Birt
04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
The machine firmware actually resides on the card, which was a really clever idea on CW's part as there are no hassels with trying to update a flash device (memory chip) on the machine itself. Do some searching on the chuck issue, more oftern then not a bit of 3-in-one oil will get it working. It does not move up very far, mine was stuck almost all the way up when I got it and I had to pull it up/down several times to free it up.

Kenm810
04-04-2007, 08:20 AM
MJD,
I Personally don't like to have my hands any where near the cutting head when the machine is turned on,
exception is changing bits when project requests it, and I don't much care for it then ether.
You can load and unload the bits with the machine turned off.

MarkJamesDesign
04-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Brand new machine ...can't even load the bit. Chuck won't cQck. Used a mirror to look underneath and the red line on the outside of the chuck is slightly off...about 1/32" from the red line on the inside of the chuck. I will call CW in a bit but could use some suggestions.

Jeff_Birt
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Mark, I replied to your other post on the same subject. Multiple posts are not required ;) . You can also use 'Search' and you will find lots of information on the subject of sticky chucks. Searching is quick and can provide you with needed information although it can take a few tries to figure out the exact terms you are searching for.

MarkJamesDesign
04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Jeff,
With all due respect to your work on this forum, my chuck is not stuck. It appears to be misaligned. I did a search on this subject and came up with one thread with most of the responses being about freeing sticky chucks. I was wondering if there is a way to remedy the misalignment or are the two parts permenantly in this position. If so I will most likely need a new chuck.

Jeff_Birt
04-04-2007, 09:50 AM
The red marks to NOT line up (as has been mentioned in past threads), when the chuck is c o c k e d it does twist slightly. Applying some 3-in-1 or similar light oil and working the chuck up and down will usually do the trick. Please note that wiping the inside of the chuck with an lightly oiled rag is good preventative maintenance measure as well ( after you get it running ;) ).

I suggest searching to you and others as many of these topics have been coverd numerous time and getting the hang of searching the forum is a valuable tool. Sometimes you will find realted suggestions that do not work in your case. When you then post you can say, "I have tried x, y, and z and that did not do the trick".

rjp736
04-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I find it kinda rude when someone tells you to do a "search" when they ask a question. It'd be a lot easier (and friendly) to simply answer the question or say nothing at all.

MarkJamesDesign
04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I personally didn't think you were rude. I have a new machine and can't use it so I'm a bit frustrated. I guess I was mistaken about the alignment as my chuck does turn slightly to the left and goes up just a bit. Maybe 10 to 20 percent of what I assume it should be. I have twisted and turned and am fearful of doing damage by getting any more agggressive. When I stick my finger up inside, only one of the balls on the lock seems to be free and will prss in. The other 2 are firmly in place. Once again, I appreciate your work on this forum and was not offended by any comments.

Frustrated Jim

pkunk
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Sometimes the chuck may not seem to be cocked, but rotating the bit adapter while pushing up on it will seat it & the outer ring will come down with a slight click.

MarkJamesDesign
04-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I can get the outer ring up just a bit. Just enough to see about 1/16" of the inner portion. It feels like I have 2 of the balls in the chuck free now but 1 is just frozen.

"Is the chuck adjustable by framing hammer?"

liquidguitars
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
"Is the chuck adjustable by framing hammer?"

If you use that on your pc you will be right at home. :rolleyes:

If your chuck is bad call CW if not, use WD40 and pump up the outer sleeve and let it spring down to get it loose.

You can use the pumping of the chuck to remove a bit too if you like, have a rag on the base for the bit to land. No need to grab the cutter at all.

Make sure that the bit has no play when installing and springs into place, pull the sleeve down and off to work we go...

Lig