PDA

View Full Version : American Flag Union

gbrown4
05-09-2020, 11:12 PM
I posted lately one of my projects which is an American Flag in which I carved the stars out in the Union. I have had several members ask me for the layout. For some reason, I cannot load the mpc project as a attachment. I have taken a picture of the layout showing the grid and placement. My grid size is set to 1/2". One thing I do when making my flags, is I use a flag calculator to determine the size of the union then I resize the stars as one group. I usually determine the flag size to make by which size lumber I have for the stripes. You can just plug the width in and the calculator will determine every thing else. You can just google flag calculator. I always use a jig to hold the boards for the Union when carving. I bought the star pattern from the pattern store which is 004 American star. You can also do variations to the union by omitting stars and creating patterns in the middle. I use minwax color stain (Lowes) and I burn the wood prior to staining or carving.
8833588336 88337

bayea
05-09-2020, 11:33 PM
thanks Greg. so is the flag one single piece ? or multiple pieces put together ?

oscarl48
05-10-2020, 04:31 AM
Greg, great looking project. Love it.

gbrown4
05-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Multiple strips placed together, usually 1 1/2” wide. I made a clamping jig which is a sheet of plywood with 1x2 fastened on two edges. I then place the pieces face down and use wedges to to force the pieces together. I then fastens 1x2’s on the back to hold it together.

bayea
05-10-2020, 01:18 PM
still a bit lost on how you did the star area . . . .
did you put the boards together then cave the stars in ?

fwharris
05-10-2020, 03:32 PM
I posted lately one of my projects which is an American Flag in which I carved the stars out in the Union. I have had several members ask me for the layout. For some reason, I cannot load the mpc project as a attachment. I have taken a picture of the layout showing the grid and placement. My grid size is set to 1/2". One thing I do when making my flags, is I use a flag calculator to determine the size of the union then I resize the stars as one group. I usually determine the flag size to make by which size lumber I have for the stripes. You can just plug the width in and the calculator will determine every thing else. You can just google flag calculator. I always use a jig to hold the boards for the Union when carving. I bought the star pattern from the pattern store which is 004 American star. You can also do variations to the union by omitting stars and creating patterns in the middle. I use minwax color stain (Lowes) and I burn the wood prior to staining or carving.
8833588336 88337

Greg,

To attach a file to a post use the "Go Advanced" icon and the bottom right of a normal post. Once there scroll down to "manage attachments" to upload a file.