PDA

View Full Version : Y-axis jogs left a few times as truck travels right toward bit finder tab

sundog2001
04-24-2020, 09:55 AM
When the truck (Y-axis) is traveling to the right side of the machine to identify bit, it jogs back left two or three times before continuing right to hit the bit tab. This reversing also happens as the truck returns to home position.
My carvings are good. Any ideas why?

fwharris
04-24-2020, 11:47 AM
It might be loosing the Y position or feeling some resistance. Make sure the Y rail and bearings are clean and lubed. http://support.carvewright.com/cleaning-the-y-and-z-rails/

Check the Y gear box and bearings to see if the bearings might need replacing. If the white pulley gear flexes side to side that is a good indication that the back bearing in the gear box is bad.

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2020, 09:48 PM
Floyd is right. The most common failure is the Y Gearbox Bearings. Then the big gear in the shaft leans toward the center of the machine and the big plastic gear rubs on the U shaped machine frame cut out causing resistance to movement and the head reverses to try to clear it... OR a Dirty Encoder....

If you are not a member there are 2 Facebook Pages. Lots of pictures about this and Tim sells a replacement shaft if your bearings have worn the shaft thin.

AL

bergerud
04-25-2020, 09:57 AM
If the machine is behaving erratically during the start up, it may simply be a software issue. Have you tried re-formatting and re-flashing the card?

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2020, 09:49 PM
Good one.... That may be it too....

sundog2001
04-26-2020, 07:53 AM
Floyd is right. The most common failure is the Y Gearbox Bearings. Then the big gear in the shaft leans toward the center of the machine and the big plastic gear rubs on the U shaped machine frame cut out causing resistance to movement and the head reverses to try to clear it... OR a Dirty Encoder....

If you are not a member there are 2 Facebook Pages. Lots of pictures about this and Tim sells a replacement shaft if your bearings have worn the shaft thin.

AL

I checked gearbox and the large white gear does move side to side. How do I contact Tim?

I thank everyone for the advice.

fwharris
04-26-2020, 11:15 AM
I checked gearbox and the large white gear does move side to side. How do I contact Tim?

I thank everyone for the advice.

I would first take out the Y motor and gear box to verify that the bearings are bad and if the shaft shows any wear signs. You can order replacement bearings at this link or from other places like Amazon or even a local hobby shop bearing supply house. https://www.vxb.com/685ZZ-5x11x5-Shielded-Miniature-Bearing-Pack-of-10-p/kit768.htm

To reach Tim you might have better luck in the FB group Carvaholics.