PDA

View Full Version : Clutch torque plate

joepei
03-24-2020, 02:34 PM
Hi All,
I just installed a new clutch torque plate. Followed the video instructions. After i had it assembled the clutch is not slipping when I lower the head to the board. any ideas before I take everything apart again. Carvewright tech said I must have assembled it wrong.

joepei
03-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Took apart the assembly and reassembled twice. Gear and handle spinng freely before putting back on the machine. Assembled back on the machine. When i lower the head the clutch is still not clicking. I don't want to over tighten it. could it have something to do with the spring spacer assembly?

fwharris
03-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Make sure did not put any washers between the spring and the clutch plate. The spring goes against the clutch plate.

joepei
03-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Spring is against the clutch plate.

fwharris
03-24-2020, 07:14 PM
When you put it all back together did grease it?

joepei
03-25-2020, 06:26 AM
Yes, use the grease to hold the clutch in place as per video. I tried more spacers on the spring but no difference.

Gary Koval
03-25-2020, 07:42 AM
I don’t know what your situation is, but is your machine in a warmer area? Neither one of my machines will crank down in my unheated garage. If you are in an area that is cool to cold perhaps an electric heater close, but not near would help.
Gary

fwharris
03-25-2020, 10:46 AM
Yes, use the grease to hold the clutch in place as per video. I tried more spacers on the spring but no difference.

Maybe try adding more grease behind the clutch plate. Remove the crank handle and with a small tipped screw driver work the grease behind the plate. After doing so crank the head up and down several times to see if it will activate. Adding more spacers, washers, makes is so it needs more force to activate the clutch. Try removing some or all of the washers.

joepei
03-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Any way to test the clutch without assembling the side panel back on the machine? The shop is 72 degrees always so the temp is not a problem.

fwharris
03-25-2020, 03:29 PM
Any way to test the clutch without assembling the side panel back on the machine? The shop is 72 degrees always so the temp is not a problem.

Not that I am aware of.

joepei
03-25-2020, 03:47 PM
5th Time must be the charm! I assembled and really gave it a hard crank and the clutch popped and started moving. Thought i was going to break something. Anyway the click is 5 times stiffer than the old clutch that broke, it must have had the edges worn on it.

fwharris
03-25-2020, 03:51 PM
I am glad you got it to working. Work it several times and then check your head pressure..

joepei
03-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Thanks will do!