PDA

View Full Version : Play in the CarveTight Spindle Chuck

Dirtpan
02-01-2020, 05:20 PM
I upgraded to the CarveTight spindle over Christmas. Last week I started noticing a horrible racket and heavy vibration in the flex shaft. I didn't notice any damage to the flex shaft, but ordered a new one anyway. While installing today, I noticed there is probably an 1/8 of an inch up and down play in the chuck itself going up into the z-truck housing. Maybe a 1/16 of an inch or a bit more side-to-side play. Is this normal?

Also on the new shaft, do I need to put the spring from the old shaft into the new shaft? I can pull the new shaft out of the z-truck housing pretty easily even with the ball indent in place.

Getting pretty frustrated. I've had the is machine for 2 years, and I can't use it for more than 2 weeks without something happening...

fwharris
02-02-2020, 12:02 PM
It sounds like you did not get the right side adjustable bearings tightened to the full tightened position and they worked loose. The image below shows how to see and get them to the full tightened position.

They have stopped adding the spring to the new flex shafts. You can put use the original spring is the new unit. I have noticed that the spring does dampen the noise.

Dirtpan
02-02-2020, 12:39 PM
It sounds like you did not get the right side adjustable bearings tightened to the full tightened position and they worked loose. The image below shows how to see and get them to the full tightened position.

That would cause the actual chuck part to have the play in the housing. The play I have is in the part holding the bit. the truck assembly is tight on the rail.

fwharris
02-02-2020, 12:51 PM
That might be the bearings not seated properly in the housing. I would contact CarveWright on Monday to let them know. Any possibility of doing a short video?

fwharris
02-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Are you a FaceBook user and a member of the Carvaholics page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041312339227740/

Dirtpan
02-02-2020, 01:21 PM
Are you a FaceBook user and a member of the Carvaholics page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041312339227740/

Just submitted a request

fwharris
02-02-2020, 01:26 PM
Just approved you.

Dirtpan
02-02-2020, 02:02 PM
That might be the bearings not seated properly in the housing. I would contact CarveWright on Monday to let them know. Any possibility of doing a short video?

I'll post the video on the Facebook group. I'm having issues getting it on here.