PDA

View Full Version : Still having Upload & memory card Problems

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 02:24 PM
The card that came with my carvewright failed to read at about 98% on the first project I attempted. After that, it made it though 4 or 5 projects before becoming totally unreadable by either the machine or my computer.

I ordered 2 new memory cards, they came, but it's been very hit & miss as to whether they work or not. One pattern in particular I cannot upload no matter how many times I try or what I do. It's the Eagle Clock from the CV pattern depot. Other patterns are hit & miss as to whether they will complete loading or not. Sometimes, I get lucky.

I've been reading, I moved the card reader to a USB on the back of my computer, I got rid of my cordless mouse, made sure there was nothing running in the background, run as administrator, everything I could find mention of, I have tried.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is loading the software onto another computer so I can determine if my PC is at fault. It's Windows 10, Intel i5 7400, with 12GB memory, new in 2017.

I'm using a dust system, it is grounded to the structure and with an actual wire to the cravewright. I do not vacuum anything while the machine is on or while the card is installed. I've been very careful with how I handle the memory cards.

If anyone can think of anything else I can try, please let me know.
Thank you

This is the message I get:

I also get this message on the screen where you load the firmware. Note it says "firmware bad"

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 02:51 PM
different project, same message. Projects get to about 75% uploaded and then stalls out & crash.

Software is designer pro 3

fwharris
01-11-2020, 04:11 PM
reformat the card and reflash the firmware. do the through the flash manager

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 04:19 PM
I'm paying better attention to messages now. I had the two parts of a project (30's Radio Clock) loaded onto card #2. Carved both on MFD, everything went good. I put in a piece of birch, and selected part #1 of the two parts in the project. It wouldn't read. Message said - Object unreadable (60) Please ensure your Design software and machine firmware are compatible. Press any key to abort.

And it wouldn't abort with the keypad. I had to shut off the power switch to make it go away.

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 04:35 PM
reformat the card and reflash the firmware. do the through the flash manager

Normally, I have a project open when I format/reflash firmware. After seeing your message, I went in and formatted & downloaded new firmware without a project open. The firmware now reads a version number and not "bad". Part #1 of the "30's Radio Clock" loaded onto my third card without incident. As soon as part 2 finishes carving, I'll go see if the CW can read the card now.

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 05:26 PM
The CW machine read the card I just uploaded and that project is being cut right now. Sure be great if that's all it was.

back to reality now.......last project I was carving (part 2 of the 30's clock) broke a bit. The 1/8" cutting bit is no more. I'll have to order some.

The project got far enough along that I can save it with a bandsaw & router using the MDF parts I carved previously as a template. Is there any way to save a half carved project when you break a cutter?

fwharris
01-11-2020, 06:05 PM
That sounds like some progress was made. Lets hope the updated firmware was your issue. To prevent damaging the card when you are taking the card out of the machine use some duct tape to make a pull tab to grab on to instead of grabbing and squeezing the card.

To recover a project that only has the cut out left to do you can delete (or use the "hide" tool) everything that was carved/completed. This should leave just the cut path. Reload to the card. You will probably need to fool the board sensor for the measuring process at the beginning. Place a strip across the width of the board and when you put the board in the machine put it so that the masking tape is under the board sensor. You should not need any for the length measurement if you were following the 7" rule.

CarveWright recommends using the 3/16" cutting bit and do the cut path as one pass.

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 06:46 PM
CarveWright recommends using the 3/16" cutting bit and do the cut path as one pass.

yes, the 3/16" cutting bit is now my best friend.

I was watching the cutout this time and it seems quite aggressive. 3/4 of an inch in 3 passes, in a good hard piece of birch lumber, she was working. No wonder the 1/8" cutter gave up.
I now have all the parts to the "30's Radio Clock" cut out, I can assemble it tomorrow while the CW is carving something else. Onward & upward.

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Full Stop!

now the card reader messed up suddenly. Went to put the card into the reader and it wouldn't go in all the way. The second row of pins on the left side is out of alignment.

I do a lot of electronics work, I've got some pretty precision stuff......gonna give it a try.

Lincoln96
01-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Happy to report that I was able to fix the card reader.

Even happier to report that the project I could never load (Eagle Clock) has now been uploaded successfully! What did I learn? It seems that reformatting and downloading new firmware must be done without a project open in the program. Otherwise the firmware gets corrupted somehow. Does that make any sense at all?

And because I haven't been kicked in the groin enough yet today, I put the original "bad" card back in the reader, with the program running, and no project open, formatted, loaded new firmware, and now that card is working too.

fwharris
01-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Happy to report that I was able to fix the card reader.

Even happier to report that the project I could never load (Eagle Clock) has now been uploaded successfully! What did I learn? It seems that reformatting and downloading new firmware must be done without a project open in the program. Otherwise the firmware gets corrupted somehow. Does that make any sense at all?

And because I haven't been kicked in the groin enough yet today, I put the original "bad" card back in the reader, with the program running, and no project open, formatted, loaded new firmware, and now that card is working too.

Sounds like success is happening! An extra card is handy. You can be designing and up loading while the machine is carving away.

Lincoln96
01-12-2020, 02:56 PM
The celebration was a short one. This morning on the first carve, the machine stopped again. "Flash un-readable (6) Please reformat flash and load project again". It had gotten to about 10% when it crashed, just far enough to mess up another piece of wood.

Since then I haven't been able to upload to any of my three cards. Same thing, they stall out in the high 70% range, then the upload crashes by 85%. And that's with not having a project open and making sure my firmware reads good before the upload. What I thought I learned yesterday was just a fluke.

Can I delete my designer pro 3 software and re-install it without causing problems with licencing & registration?

fwharris
01-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Yes you can delete and reinstall without loosing your settings.

You mentioned earlier about finding some bent pins, could that still be your issue?

You can recover a stopped carving by modifying your design. Draw a rectangle to cover about 95% of what had been carved. Make the rectangle a carve region and then set the depth of the region at zero 0. This will hide that portion of your design. Upload it to the card. At the machine once it starts to carve it will pause and dance around for a short while and then continue the carving process. Yes only works for carves that do not have vectors/centerline withing the area that will be hidden. You might need to fool the board sensor if the area that has been carved will be under the board sensor for the board measurement steps. You can either place masking tape across the width of the board and have it under the board sensor for measuring.

Lincoln96
01-12-2020, 10:46 PM
I got the pins on the reader fixed, that's not it anymore. I'm thinking the problem I'm having is too inconsistent and illogical to be a hardware issue. It's got to be software generated.

When I got the CV, I installed the basic "project designer" software first, before adding "Designer Pro 3". Should I have deleted project designer first before upgrading?
I'm going to try blowing them both away and starting over.

I bought the scanning probe too, but I'm afraid to take it out of the box. :)

fwharris
01-12-2020, 10:54 PM
I run both versions on my lap top and no issues. I did find out that the last version installed is the default version when you try to open an existing project file.

I do not recall if this has been mentioned to you but,, if you have not, increase the rendering cache size up to about 256MB and turn off the file preview feature. Rendering cache is in the preference settings and file preview in the help tab.

It is often suggested that if issues can not be resolved to try the uninstall and re installation of the software.

Lincoln96
01-13-2020, 09:37 AM
I just did the rendering cash and turned off file preview. We'll see if that helps.
Thank you

Lincoln96
01-13-2020, 09:06 PM
I got nowhere with it today at all. Deleted both programs, re-loaded Pro 3, it didn't help anything. Uploads get to 71%, stall out for about a minute, then suddenly jump to 74%, uploads crash as they hit 80%. All 3 flash cards do the same thing. I'm formatting and loading new firmware every time.

Lincoln96
01-13-2020, 10:14 PM
I loaded the program onto our laptop, and tried an upload. Exactly the same outcome. Stalls at 71%, crash & burn at 80%.

However I did notice an interesting message or two that I didn't see come up on my PC.

And on my licence page, the designer pro software I bought is showing as an "upgrade" version.
Does this have anything to do with my problem?

lynnfrwd
01-14-2020, 09:20 AM
Where did you buy your machine and Designer PRO version?

Lincoln96
01-14-2020, 09:22 AM
Where did you buy your machine and Designer PRO version?

I ordered both from Rockler. The designer Pro 3 was part of the "Hobby Package".

lynnfrwd
01-14-2020, 09:32 AM
Looks like I may have not provided the correct licenses to Rockler for the Hobby Package. We will fix that issue.

In the meantime, I have added the Designer Pro Version Standalone license to your account. On both of your computers, you will need to go in Designer to HELP > MANAGE LICENSES > UPDATE LICENSES.

Sorry for the goof-up. It was totally my fault.

Connie

Lincoln96
01-14-2020, 10:21 AM
Looks like I may have not provided the correct licenses to Rockler for the Hobby Package. We will fix that issue.

In the meantime, I have added the Designer Pro Version Standalone license to your account. On both of your computers, you will need to go in Designer to HELP > MANAGE LICENSES > UPDATE LICENSES.

Sorry for the goof-up. It was totally my fault.

Connie

Thank you for looking into this so quickly.
I updated the licence as instructed, tried my upload again, it failed as before.

I did a reboot on my computer, checked everything on the program again, and this time the upload completed. It did stall at 70% for a while, but then it carried on and finished.
I'll be working with it today, I'll see how things go and report back.

It's -36 here this morning, so I'm a little slow in getting out to the shop. :)