PDA

View Full Version : Bit Tip Locater Plate didn't actuate

BCChad
11-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Hi - I am learning a new problem - when initiating the job, the Z-truck moved all the way to the right to home the bit. The "Bit Tip Locater Plate" did not swing out like it was supposed to. The z-truck dipped down several times but not finding the plate it returned to center and told me to "load a bit," which I'd already done.
The other day SUPPORT had me retension the y-axis belt, so I'm guessing it has to do with that, but the machine did run correctly after I had done that.
Has someone seen this problem? Is there a calibration to tell the Y-axis to move all the way to the right? Thanks in advance.

Mikewiz
11-30-2019, 06:15 PM
If you removed the top cover make sure the cut motor wires are not in the way, as first picture shows. Make sure they are tucked behind the cut motor as in second picture, if not the truck will not be able to move the bit locator. the wires are right be hind the Y tensioner.

fwharris
11-30-2019, 07:35 PM
Mike's post is the most common cause for the truck not moving far enough to push the bit plate out for the bit touch off. Also check that the Y rails and bearings are clean and lubed, no dust build up in/on the bit plate spring.

BCChad
12-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Thanks Mikewiz - good call. I did have the cover off (repeated trouble with the microswitches!). Cut motor wires were in the way.

DickB
12-02-2019, 06:09 AM
Zip ties are your friend.

Mikewiz
12-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Glad you fixed it and glad I could help.

Digitalwoodshop
12-11-2019, 09:07 AM
ALSO since you needed to tighten the Y Belt... I would QUICKLY order some 685ZZ Bearings and make plans for some preventive maintenance and replace the two bearings inside the Y Gearbox. Having to tighten the Y belt is a sign of failing 685ZZ Bearings... IF you wait... You will wear thin the metal shaft of the Y gearbox. Tim sells a shaft to let you replace the shaft on the plastic gear. Does everyone here know there is a CarveWright Facebook Page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041312339227740/?ref=group_header