PDA

View Full Version : Key hole function

Loriblackdog
10-26-2019, 04:29 AM
Hi All,

I was trying to use the key hole on the back of my board, however when I go to save it, I get error message not licensed? What doe that mean? Do I have to purchase this feature and what is the cost? I appreciate any help in this matter.

Loriblackdog

Mugsowner
10-26-2019, 05:44 AM
Yes the keyhole function is an add on that needs to be purchased. The cost is around 50 dollars and comes with a bit, I believe. A new bit would run you about 30 dollars, so with the bit it is a pretty good deal.

Mike1
10-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Just trying to understand this. The bit that you are talking about is the one that is shaped like a bell and it is plunged into the back of the board for about an inch so in length so that a screw head will fit into the slot so it can be hung on a wall?

GuyT
10-28-2019, 05:17 AM
That's the one. I use mine a lot and have replaced the original with a 1/2" shank. No special reason other than it's an easy change over from the CW bit, and I had one as part of my router set.

Deolman
10-28-2019, 10:53 AM
I have used keyhole bit by creating a line horizontal to the top, (about 1-1/4" long) setting an appropriate depth and selecting the 1/8" cutting bit. Now when it is time to cut this line, insert the keyhole bit. You now have a hole at each end of this line and can level the project that way.

CarverJerry
10-30-2019, 07:43 AM
I made a little jig for doing a key hole, I use a small router by hand, I can make a key hole in about 2 mins using this jig start to finish. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Deolman
10-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Jerry, I would appreciate pics.

Mike1
10-30-2019, 12:32 PM
Same here Jerry, thank you.

CarverJerry
10-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Here are a few pics of how I do my key holes. I mark a centerline and place my jig and clamp it, run my router and I'm done. Quick and easy. I made the jig to fit my small router, I had to add a bit of tape (black duct tape) because my opening was just a bit to large, but again being a machinist for over 40 years the wife says if I don't make it perfect then I'm not pleased. Hope this helps.

oscarl48
10-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Jerry, looks like a really useful jig. Need to make me one. :)

Mike1
10-31-2019, 08:54 PM
Thanks Jerry, I will make one. Great idea

Deolman
10-31-2019, 10:17 PM
Thanks Jerry, much appreciated.

Mugsowner
11-02-2019, 08:05 AM
I do the same as Jerry to a point. My jig is mounted to one of my routers. It is a piece of poly carbonate with an edge guide mounted to it. The edge guide is mounted 3/4" off bit center. Any other sizes needed I use shims to minimize depth from bit center. There are marks on the guide to show the cutting edge of bit. I mark the project where I want the cut to start and end. place the project on jig at start point, plunge down, slide to stop mark, then back to start point and remove project. I get a key hole slot with one opening for the screw head. I also put mine across the top edge. This give ability to move along a mounting screw to where a unbalanced carving can be hung strait.