PDA

View Full Version : Tree Pattern

lesuer27
06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Hello everyone,

Would anyone be willing to help me out creating a similar pattern to this from an image? These are awesome trees, as far as the carvewright goes, and I haven't been able to find anything close to it in the pattern store in quality or style, so I think I need to create my own.

Is it best to start with a black and white silhouette? and then blur it?

Is there free software that I can use?

Thank you!

lesuer27
06-10-2019, 07:18 PM
I've tried several different blur percentages, and that did a good job of smoothing out all the dimples, but it seemed to lose a lot of the details...

fwharris
06-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Typically an image is hard to make it into a good pattern. To many high and low areas to get evened out.

lesuer27
06-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Typically an image is hard to make it into a good pattern. To many high and low areas to get evened out.

So what do you do when you cannot find a good enough quality mpc, and dont have the ability to create/import stls?

oscarl48
06-10-2019, 09:17 PM
There are many tree patterns that have been shared previously. The problem is of course finding them and differing qualities.

Here is one:
https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?30075-Looking-for-forest-or-multiple-tree-scenes&highlight=tree

Here is a quick model I made.

There are options using third party software i.e. ShaderMap, Blender 3d bas relief gray scale image.

lesuer27
06-11-2019, 12:07 PM
There are many tree patterns that have been shared previously. The problem is of course finding them and differing qualities.

Here is one:
https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?30075-Looking-for-forest-or-multiple-tree-scenes&highlight=tree

Here is a quick model I made.

There are options using third party software i.e. ShaderMap, Blender 3d bas relief gray scale image.

You made that quickly?
That looks really good. How did you learn to do that?

I downloaded Blender, and the sapling module is this what you used?

How did you turn it into the grayscale image?

Thanks!

lesuer27
06-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Well I downloaded Blender and figured out how to make a tree with my 10 year old son. Its been quite an experience. I still haven't figured out how to create a grey scale of the image yet, but here is our first 3d image. It was a lot of fun.

oscarl48
06-11-2019, 09:10 PM
That is awesome. Nicely done and yes that is exactly the sapling add-on I used.

The gray scale image creation is a nodal post process of the render done in the compositing screen. You can download the blend file at:
https://blenderartists.org/t/two-cents/654804/152

Jacob built the node set up and I tweaked it slightly by using a Log function instead of the Power function he used. Both will do the job though. We are both still playing with it but it is close.

Open the bas relief blend file and then append the object data into it. Hit render and the bas relief will be created after rendering. It will take a few minutes only to do.

lesuer27
06-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Hey oscarl, pardon my ignorance, I tried opening the blend file a few different ways, I'm not sure how to properly open it, but every time I do blender crashes. I must be doing something wrong.

How exactly do I open the file?

Thanks!

oscarl48
06-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Sorry. Earlier file from Jacob is in 2.79 and my later one is in the new blender 2.8.

Blender 2.8 changed the file format of the blend files. So it will depend on which version of blender you downloaded on which one you can use.

2.8 can open 2.79 but 2.79 does not work with 2.8 files.

lesuer27
06-15-2019, 07:53 AM
Would you mind sharing the blender file for the fir tree so I can play around with it?

I'm seriously contemplating getting the STL importer now, so I can create my own patterns with my son. Its a relatively big investment for us right now, but I would love to be able to create stuff with him.

Thanks!

oscarl48
06-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Send me your email on PM if want.

There is actually a better tree maker for blender. It is called Modular Tree add-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQx0eh8z-iM

You build trees through node chains which can give you have a lot more control over the creation process.

cestout
06-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Why not export it as an STL file and import that into Designer?
Clint