PDA

View Full Version : CW ups the scanning probe price

jdrof
04-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I decided yesterday to order the probe. Called CW only to find out they also increased the cost to $400.00 this morning. I was told it has to do with the contract they have with Sears. If Sears raises the cost, CW has to raise theirs.

What a drag! Like they say, "The early bird .........."

Only a minor setback, because nobody has them anyway.

Dan-Woodman
04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
They probably only do that so they can " put it on sale" for $300.00

Bill
04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
If Sears raises the cost, CW has to raise theirs

Why does CC have to raise the cost ?
Who ownes the company Sears or CC?

BoardSilly
04-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Why does CC have to raise the cost ?
Who ownes the company Sears or CC?

LHR owns the company, Sears has the distribution rights. LHR can't sell cheaper then their distributor or they would financially impact them. And if that happens, you can bet Sears would drop the product line like a hot potato.

Bill
04-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Then why don't Sears have support and parts?

BoardSilly
04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Then why don't Sears have support and parts?

Service: Sears Techs are not yet all trained on this machine. Look at how difficult a time LHR themselves is having trying to get their own people trained to support it.

Parts: LHR is the middle man in the supply chain. They can't provide parts to Sears when they don't have them from China themselves.

Personally, I think LHR would have been better served if they had taken the first 2-3 years of production life and handled all sales, service and parts directly. That would give them time to develop out their internal processes, correct any manufacturing problems, make the needed design changes to the machine, control the release of the machine to reduce bad publicity, and finalize firmware and software issues. They were not prepared to go national when they did. Of course, I'm sure the investor's / owner's were looking to recover investment and show profit as fast as possible. Unfortunately, I've seen companies self destruct when they light the fuse to quick. As my daddy said, "You can only make a first impression once". Just my own thoughts on the matter.

rgant05
04-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Hope they honor the orders they have already taken at $299 and haven't delivered yet

jdrof
04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes. They will honor orders made prior to today, according to CW.

Bill
04-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Service: Sears Techs are not yet all trained on this machine. Look at how difficult a time LHR themselves is having trying to get their own people trained to support it

Myself I find it hard to believe that there are not technicians that are capable or could be capable of service and support through Sears look at some of the folks (not all) but some on this forum who make there own repairs and some are quite extent.

They can't provide parts to Sears when they don't have them from China themselves

As far as parts go if they can not be suppled by LHR (as long as there is a demand) someone will eventually will make parts for this machine just like they do everything else.

BoardSilly
04-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm not saying there are not people capable of fixing this machine working at Sears. I'm just saying that I doubt if they have been trained. LHR is having a difficult time handling their own support issues let alone training the Sears people. There is a big difference between a home user who tears into his machine to fix it and doing so when you are a tech working for a company. If the home user screws up the machine... to bad they broke it themselves. If a tech tears into it and screws it up, the company just ate it.

I'm sorta on the same page with you on the last part of your comments. But I think I'll even take it further then just parts by a third party. LHR has shown that there is an appreciable demand for a low cost home sized CNC woodworking machine. How long until someone else comes out with one, after watching to see what design issues arise out of LHR's foray into this field, and learning from their mistakes?

Jeff_Birt
04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Folks, your right training (and experiance) is the key, and neither has much to do with (formal) education. When you hire/train someone on a new piece of equipment, such as this, it will take about 3 months before they can accomplish something with guidance and 6 months before they begin to have a clue. After 12-18 months you stand the chance of having the makings of a good technician (I've been on both sides of this; being the greenhorn and the manager). That's the tricky part; hiring/training just before you need the help.

But, I think all of this is a bit OT from the topic of the thread. I'm guessing that the probe will be available on sale from Sears as well.

Gman_Ind
04-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I am among the many who are waiting on the probe I ordered it when I ordered my first machine. I just re-watched Michael T's video again amd can't wait.

Early bird gets the worm but it is the second mouse who gets the cheese from the trap.

Semper Fi
04-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Sears has the probe on sale at $20 off, but the sale ends today. (04/07) $379.99
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00921778000&cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&subcat=Jointer%2C+Planer%2C+%26+Shaper

Ernie

leesheridan
04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
[
I just spoke with Texas yesterday and the sad news is to send my unit in. What has been the turn around time that others have seen, including shipping time?

HighTechOkie
04-07-2007, 01:30 PM
It would have been nice of CW to let its faithful following know about this price increase and/or offer those the chance to lock in the lower price.

As for the contract with Sears, that is definitely an odd agreement for the distributor to call the shots and set the price, and the manufacturer has to comply? And yet LHR lets Sears sell their machine below MSRP. This contract seems a little heavy handed in Sears favor.

Rob

BoardSilly
04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
You can always build your own probe. Its an easy design and build. Only issue is getting the software to take its input without the license.

Gary
04-07-2007, 10:44 PM
BoardSilly,

Can you really make your own probe?? I ran a UMM (Universal Measuring Machine) many years ago, before CMM machines were developed. It was all micrometers and dial indicators. The CW probe has to convert x and y deflections as it's going up and down through the z axis, and has to convert all of those readings into z axis values. I don't think that would be easy?? I'm old and I've been out of the loop for a few years, but if one could make a 3d probe, I'd be interested.

Gary

DDV
04-07-2007, 11:50 PM
It would have been nice of CW to let its faithful following know about this price increase and/or offer those the chance to lock in the lower price.

As for the contract with Sears, that is definitely an odd agreement for the distributor to call the shots and set the price, and the manufacturer has to comply? And yet LHR lets Sears sell their machine below MSRP. This contract seems a little heavy handed in Sears favor.

Rob

Sears has a history of being heavy handed with manufactures. That the reason today you never heard of "Armstrong Tire and Rubber Co." AKA "The Sears Syndrom" as known in manufacturing.

DDV

Semper Fi
04-08-2007, 09:30 AM
When you have a customer who wants all you have and all you can get, it's hard not to reach for the carrot. I just hope it doesn't backfire. I tried to order the probe at Sears sale price last night, but they wouldn't take the order...... just said it was temporarly out of stock. (Sigh!) I guess I'll have to wait for the next Club sale and hope they are in stock at that time.

Ernie

update: Just found out the 10% discount only works on things in their CC flyer............ not all tools like before. Now they are offering a 10% rebate on all tools bought online, starting today(4/8) until 4/11. That would be $40 off the price, if you can order the probe before the 12th. Wanna bet they'll still be out of stock?

BoardSilly
04-08-2007, 12:48 PM
BoardSilly,

Can you really make your own probe?? I ran a UMM (Universal Measuring Machine) many years ago, before CMM machines were developed. It was all micrometers and dial indicators. The CW probe has to convert x and y deflections as it's going up and down through the z axis, and has to convert all of those readings into z axis values. I don't think that would be easy?? I'm old and I've been out of the loop for a few years, but if one could make a 3d probe, I'd be interested.

Gary

Touch probes are nothing more then switches. The principle is quite simple, the probe ( with a hardened point or ruby ball tip) fits into a hub and from this hub extend hardened rods. These in turn sit on hardened balls. The rods are electrically insulated from each other but do of course make an electrical contact between the balls they sit on. There is an internal circuit which includes the balls and rods as switches in series. The hub with its rods is held in contact with the balls by a spring. The basic concept can be seen in the attached image. I'm also attaching an image of the CW probe and one of a homemade probe. Can you build your own probe? Sure can. Can you use it with the CW software? Not without buying a license to do so from CW. The probe is the least expensive part of the equation, the cost is in the software. But I doubt CW would be happy with me for going into details on it all on their forum.

Gary
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
BoardSilly,

Thanks for the info on the workings of the probe. I can see how it would work and understand how the software would be the controlling factor.
I find it kind of strange how some people are having trouble getting a probe and some people are having trouble getting carving bits from CW. I got the probe and extra carving bits in short order, but can't get the full router bit set after having them on order since first of February. I was told a month ago they are still waiting on adapters. Oh, well, someday.

Thanks again for the info.

Gary