PDA

View Full Version : Holes in a Circle

Mindek
03-25-2019, 08:57 AM
I have a project that requires placing a large number of holes in a circle. I would like to use the "drill" tool and the "Pattern Along a Trajectory" tool but with Pattern Along a Trajectory the drill tool does not appear to be available.

I would appreciate "Your" help in accomplishing this task with my CarceWright machine. Thank you in advance.

fwharris
03-25-2019, 10:30 AM
If the pattern along a trajectory allows you to get the correct placement for your hole lay out use that as a template to place your drill holes. After getting the holes layed out delete the trajectory.

lynnfrwd
03-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Pattern along a trajectory is for patterns. I don't believe it will allow you to use the drill hole tool, but Floyd's idea will help you like them up.

Mindek
03-25-2019, 12:27 PM
That is a great idea, Fred, but I have 70, 80, 90 holes to drill in several rings. It seems this method might take an eternity. I am making a template for registration on my lathe so I can make small calculated rotations to draw lines on a turned bowl thus giving the illusion of a basket. See attached image. The round lines are cut with a beading tool and the cross or vertical lines are drawn using the hole template and burned with a wood burner. Thank you for your response.

fwharris
03-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Fantastic design. Another thought would be to do the design in another program and export it out as vectors.

Mindek
03-26-2019, 01:54 PM
May be a good solution but I am not astute enough make it happen. I wonder how hard it is to make the drill feature a pattern so it can be placed along a trajectory?

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2019, 02:52 PM
I found a Wood Working Magazine at the VA Book Swap. Was impressed with this new Jig and the Drill Tool for making Cribbage Boards. My thought was that the CW could make a complicated pattern of HOLES as a PLASTIC JIG. Then use the Drill Tool to put the holes in Expensive Firewood... I mean Expensive Professionally Done Cribbage Boards.

THIS Jig could be used to make ONE set of Holes that you index around your Circle. With a PIN in the last set of holes drilled.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/cribbage-board-templates/