PDA

View Full Version : I'm just not good at this

edsingletary
03-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Is there anyone out there who has the expertise to turn this photo of a statue into a pattern with depth. I tried to do it on the pattern editor in The Software but I failed miserably.

A friend who will be traveling to Rome with a group of Native Americans to the Vatican wanted to present a nice plaque to the Pope.

The wood part I can handle fine, but this is so special to him I wanted something more than I am able to do.

I'm not asking for free, I will pay whatever the going rate is. Anyone able and more importantly, willing to take on this challenge.

Thanks Ed

Anyone of the three is fine. Which ever is easiest to work with.

My email is
edsingletary@bellsouth.net872928729387294

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

oscarl48
03-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Ed,

I'll give it a try but no guarantees on how good it will be. My plan is to port it into blender and then sculpt it by hand as close as I can get it with my limited skills.

Oscar

oscarl48
03-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Ed,

Not perfect but see if this will work for you.

Oscar

edsingletary
03-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Oscar, could you email that file, full size. If possible. Looks so much better than mine.

I've been told that trying to model off of a picture is very difficult, I am so grateful for your help.

My email is
edsingletary@bellsouth.net

Thank you so much.
Ed.

edsingletary
03-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Oscar, never mind, I figured out how to send it to myself. Thanks again

edsingletary
03-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Oscar, I imported it into CW on a board and it looks just great. Your stuff will hang in the Vatican in Rome. Good job, I'll send you a picture of the finished product.

Many thanks again

oscarl48
03-11-2019, 06:53 PM
The pattern was enclosed so you shouldn't have to do anything other than download that. The picture was just for reference.

Having said that, here is an slightly updated pattern. They are pretty much the same with some very subtle changes.

I was having problems porting the stl from blender. I am using the newest nightly build due to buying a brand new computer with a bleeding edge graphics card (NVIDIA RTX 2080). The official version of blender does not support the card. Unfortunately for me the stl exporter is wonky in the night build version but I finally figured out what I had to do to get a good export.

The first pattern was made from a depth map image I rendered from blender when I couldn't get a STL. I am including the rendered images for fun and also if you want to play with the depth image. You can change the contrast or add additional blur for softer edges.

It is difficult to get a good pattern from a picture. I had to pretty much go over every inch of the geometry and make my best guess on the height of the area. So not perfect in any way (far from it).

P.S. lol. You beat me to the post. I am glad it will work.

bergerud
03-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Nice job Oscar. Not everyone realizes how much time something like that can take.

oscarl48
03-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Dan, thanks.

For pattern makers:
Not that everyone else doesn't already know but I didn't know. I was under the same misconception on how a picture to pattern process worked when I started. I wish there was an easy button for this. I am trying to learn anatomy again to improve my sculpts.

Digital sculpting is only one method. There are other ways to do this. Probably way easier ways but I am comfortable with sculpting though not very good yet. So I've been focused on trying to learn and improve this skill.

myshop1044
03-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Very nice quality oscarl48

Mike1
03-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Very nice and thank you for sharing.

mikemi
03-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Good job Oscar. Sure wish I could do that.

Mike

edsingletary
03-20-2019, 06:44 AM
Oh Oscar, that is simply beautiful, I cannot thank you enough. Your work will proudly hang in the Vatican in Rome. What a super job. Thank you so much. Wish I had the time to understand how all that works. It's got to make you proud.

Ed

edsingletary
03-20-2019, 07:10 AM
Oscar, you will want to smack me for this, but I cannot download the ptn file. I send myself the link via email and I'm redirected to the Forum at Carvewright at which point I'm sent into an endless loop of registration. It is a terrible situation on the CW forum, I can't get on, even though I'm registered but it says I'm not.

Can I ask you to email it to me, I hate to bother you further but the final pattern is so beautiful I need to get it downloaded into my computer.

Email
edsingletary@bellsouth.net

Thank you so, so much.

oscarl48
03-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Ed,

Sent your way.

Regards,
Oscar