PDA

View Full Version : Stl to dxf

Dodadd1
12-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Is there a way to convert a stl file to a dxf file?

fwharris
12-23-2018, 11:59 AM
They are 2 different file formats. An STL is a 3d model and a DXF is line/vector art. The closest you can get would be an outline of the STL

oscarl48
12-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Dodadd1, do you have the stl importer add-on? Very nice 3d model. Definitely not a dxf candidate.

oscarl48
12-26-2018, 01:41 PM
I was curious on how this can be done. Somehow you have to convert a 3d mesh object into a 2d vector object.

I don't have the dxf importer so could only see the results in the demo.

But here is the process I used. I am sure there are many other methods to get to the same end. The easiest is probably just to trace it out. It is not a complex picture.

But here is what I did:

Rendered a 2d image from stl
Changed exposure and gamma plus increased contrast
Changed to black and white
Converted to vector line drawing
Saved as vector line drawing
Converted to DXF
Resulting dxf file needs a bunch of work to clean up. A lot of extra artifacts.

The dxf file is too large to share on the forum. I am including the b/w line drawing. If anyone wants the dxf file PM your email address. It is NOT carve ready. It will take a bit of work to clean it up.

Oscar

cestout
12-26-2018, 04:24 PM
I don't see what could be gained by converting it to DXF. It makes a good quality .ptn and that is what it's creator had in mind.
Clint

oscarl48
12-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Clint, though this was an academic exercise, I can see when this may be useful if you are trying to match an existing style in furniture (v-carve) and you needed a specific pattern.

But way easier to just trace the pattern if you have the right software/add-ons.