PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed on what to carve

oscarl48
11-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Its been really quite on here so thought I could start a discussion.

I am still working on my family crest design.

I am really torn between these two designs. One is a fairly traditional design while the second one has a modern military take on it.

The traditional design will be for the family but I am still not sure what I want to show off in my home.

My family crest only has two elements. The standing lion and the castle. Everything else is decoration.

- Oscar

Dale
11-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Good job on both of them Oscar, but I like the first one best.

Scooby
11-10-2018, 03:50 PM
I would stay with the original family crest/coat of arms. You did Google the design since some of your design is original. Each element in a family crest has a meaning and tells the family history. Even the smallest item on a crest has a meaning. History can't be changed. I don't think they had those guns 400 years ago.

myshop1044
11-10-2018, 04:39 PM
I go for #1

oscarl48
11-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Guys, thanks. I guess number 1 it is. ;)

Digitalwoodshop
11-10-2018, 05:56 PM
I like #1 but #2 may grow legs with the NRA guys.

Nice work.

oscarl48
11-10-2018, 06:59 PM
lol. I think I am one of them NRA guys. I sleep with several guns around me at an arms reach.

The rifle is modeled after my M5/AR308. A friend of mine built it for me.

I think the k-bar knives are sexy but I tend more to Tanto or Bowie style knives. I might have to rework the design with a tactical Tanto knife.

Mugsowner
11-11-2018, 06:57 AM
I have to agree #1 is the one to go with and glad to hear that you take your own ability to protect yourself to a level most should. Police are nice to have around to make out the report, but until they get there, it is nice to have a equalizer of some sort. Here in Wisconsin laws have been passed recently that protect a person while protecting themselves.

Digitalwoodshop
11-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Seriously... Might be a market for a NRA Theme Coat of Arms.... Just in time for XMAS... For the MAN that has every GUN....

I agree... You need to protect yourself.

oscarl48
11-12-2018, 08:19 AM
That is a concept: different coat of arms themes.

Most of the individual elements (or similar) for a gun theme coat of arms are already in the pattern depot store or have been shared on the site. The shield I used for it did not really work. I had too much arch on it so I have to modify it before its usable. I had to use additive merge style on the dagger for it to sit on top the shield.

Instead of a banner name plate I am thinking a diamond plate name plate would be cooler also.

I'll have to play with that. Maybe I'll have to carve two for myself. A real one for the living room and a second one for me.

Canemaker
11-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Both look great, are you bringing both of them to the NWLA Woodworkers meeting tomorrow night on 11/13.

oscarl48
11-12-2018, 07:42 PM
John,

unfortunately, I haven't carved them yet. Still not 100% happy with them. I am close though.

I'll bring a few projects just in case someone is interested. Maybe the dragon claw clock. Its my favorite piece right now.

CarverJerry
11-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Love the NRA one, but then again I'm a member with them too. Nice work. let me know when you carve it and how it turned, very interested. Thanks for posting