PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to carve EVA foam? (anti-fatigue mats)

Underdog
10-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to carve EVA foam with the CarveWright?
That's the foam found in those interlocking anti-fatigue mats. It's often the DIY material for creating cosplay items- armor, weapons etc.

CarverJerry
10-31-2018, 01:02 PM
I would think it would want to pull up onto the cutting bit and maybe even melt the stuff. I used to make and sell after market mats for the Segways and I had a steel rule die made to cut the anti-fatigue material. Maybe if you had a vacuum table that would hold it in place. Just my 2¢ worth.

Underdog
10-31-2018, 03:02 PM
Yep. It might at that.

I know some of the guys have used that pink styrofoam to do practice runs though.

I thought maybe someone had tried the rubber mats...

Anybody?

gashawk
11-01-2018, 01:38 AM
Has anybody tried carving foam and using it for a casting. "The lost foam method" (you tube). Oh well, I'll keep saving my beer cans.

want2b
11-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Has anybody tried carving foam and using it for a casting. "The lost foam method" (you tube). Oh well, I'll keep saving my beer cans.

Have used high density urethane foam. Works well, definitely needs a vacuum system, lots of clingy dust. Bought a piece from a commercial sign co, the owner understood I wasn't going to be a competitor, even offered to get me full sheets at his cost. Finished product using automotive paint products. Product seemed expensive to me compared to the wood I use.
Rick H

Underdog
11-02-2018, 01:31 PM
So how does the HD Urethane foam compare to the EVA foam in Floor Mats? Anyone know?