PDA

View Full Version : Filling in centerline letters

Rob
10-15-2018, 08:55 PM
I have been trying to create a few carvings that have words carved into the design. In finishing, I want to fill in the letters so that they are easier to read. My wife has some small paintbrushes that she has attempted to fill in the letters and it always smears and doesn't look good. We have tried filling them in and then sanding over them to get any bleed from the wood surface. That doesn't work. We have attempted fine paint pens, fin markers, etc that fill in the bottom of the letter and not the edges, then they don't look and don't have the depth.

I have nearly gave up, then was in a shop a couple of weeks ago and found a project that someone else had done and now know it is doable. A pic of their project is attached.

HOW THE HECK DO I FILL IN THE LETTERS TO MAKE IT LOOK THAT GOOD - LOL?? I mean, their letters, logo, etc. looks great. 86703

henry1
10-15-2018, 09:02 PM
I have been trying to create a few carvings that have words carved into the design. In finishing, I want to fill in the letters so that they are easier to read. My wife has some small paintbrushes that she has attempted to fill in the letters and it always smears and doesn't look good. We have tried filling them in and then sanding over them to get any bleed from the wood surface. That doesn't work. We have attempted fine paint pens, fin markers, etc that fill in the bottom of the letter and not the edges, then they don't look and don't have the depth.

I have nearly gave up, then was in a shop a couple of weeks ago and found a project that someone else had done and now know it is doable. A pic of their project is attached.

HOW THE HECK DO I FILL IN THE LETTERS TO MAKE IT LOOK THAT GOOD - LOL?? I mean, their letters, logo, etc. looks great. 86703
would like to help do you have team viewer that I can get on your computer and help you or you can call me I will send you a private message

Deolman
10-15-2018, 09:13 PM
I finish the entire surface using shellac including the carved portions. Sometimes a couple of coats. This seals the pores in the wood. I then use either a paint pen or a brush to ad the colors I want.

myshop1044
10-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Rob , I did center line lettering, then put a sealer in the letters, then sand lightly off the excess , then paint over lettering and again sand off the excess

fwharris
10-15-2018, 10:09 PM
After staining I put on a couple of light coats of spray lacquer, some use shellac, and then paint. Doing so it prevents bleeding and you can easily wipe off any big goofs. After the paint dries you can lightly sand off any over paint. Do to test runs on some scrap to get a good feel for it.

DickB
10-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Spray stencil ink, then sand.

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2018, 11:02 AM
I use latex paint and lp air to blow the excess out of the letters. After dry, sand flush then stain. The trick is to use thick latex paint rather than thin spray paint that wicks.

blantz
10-16-2018, 11:12 AM
I have used colored wood filler (white) with good results.

Rob
10-16-2018, 01:12 PM
would like to help do you have team viewer that I can get on your computer and help you or you can call me I will send you a private message

Hi Henry, I do not have team viewer, but am familiar with it. I believe my problem is on the finishing technique of actually painting the letters rather than using Centerline. Do you see it differently. I'd love it if you could show me the finishing technique on the actual piece of wood. <Smile>

Rob
10-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Wow, seems easy and I was over complicating it. Thank you everyone. In general I am hearing:
- Stain (if needed) then seal with shellac or lacquer.
- paint using latex (not acrylic like I was using)
- consider spray painting vs brush painting (maybe even spray stencil paint)
- let dry
- sand over the top to remove paint from surface

** perform tests before doing it on a real piece to perfect technique

If I missed anything, let me know.

Thanks so much!
Rob

want2b
10-16-2018, 02:00 PM
I use the seal , paint, finish, sand method often. I have also sprayed the board with a sealer to prevent bleeding covered the board with adhesive shelf paper, then carved, then sprayed the letters where the centerline removed the paper. Gives a crisp line. Differing results depending on the paper, some cuts good while some wants to stick to the bit Also smaller letters don't work as well due to center of 'a' & 'e' type letters come off. Capitals work better.
Rick H

DickB
10-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Spray stencil ink does not wick into the end grain like paint and stain can, and dries quickly.

myshop1044
10-17-2018, 02:09 PM
I use the paint, finish, sand method then seal all the time, it works great on other material such as coasters.
you don’t have to be neat, just paint all the different colors at once

Rob
10-19-2018, 09:58 PM
I use the paint, finish, sand method then seal all the time, it works great on other material such as coasters.
you don’t have to be neat, just paint all the different colors at once

What paint and application method do you use.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

myshop1044
10-20-2018, 07:07 AM
I use Krylon colors in the small cans, I also use the high gloss gold matelic spray that I paint by brush, then sand down with 120 grit sandpaper and finish off with Krylon high gloss sealer just for looks.
again on the coasters with text just paint the text and fill in all the text, you don’t have to be perfect, the sanding will clean up the excess paint

DianMayfield
10-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Perry,

Some of the reviews of the Krylon in the can say it is thin and requires multiple coats. Are you having any issues with it?

myshop1044
10-20-2018, 12:12 PM
No, I just load up the “V” centerline lettering with paint and let it ride

carrothers
10-21-2018, 08:23 PM
In Centerline you don't have any control over the depth except which font you use...in Raster I sometimes cut it a little deeper and after spraying the entire piece as it comes out of the machine with sanding sealer...I then paint the letters with a good paint...let it dry for a good while and then run it thru my planer. That creates the sharpest edges and then you can stain the rest of the piece Recently a friend of mine gave me a "cut out" when they installed the sink in a "formica" counter top. the formica was glued onto a 10 layer marine plywood so when I carved it out I got several different colors depending on the depth. It looked so good I just put some trim around it and it was finished.