PDA

View Full Version : Photo Help

slaveault
10-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Hello, I am a new user of the carvewright machine, two projects86641 under my belt so far. I am trying to do something for my dog who just passed on yesterday. I have edited his picture in Photoshop to try and lighten the lights and darken some of his features, but I'm still not entirely pleased with how the image seems to be coming out as a pattern. Can someone offer me any tips and tricks to improve the image for carving? Attached is my carvewright file, the original image and the edited image. Thank you so much. 8663986640

slaveault
10-03-2018, 03:45 PM
I am not sure why I don't see the carvewright file in my original post, I am sure that all 3 files were chosen and attached....

lynnfrwd
10-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Add an Image from your computerAllowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif

fwharris
10-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Your file is show in the first line of your post.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I lost my lab back is September. You might try doing your carving as a litho as you will get much better detail. I used your original image. Trying to make a pattern out of a normal image is very difficult to do.

slaveault
10-03-2018, 07:44 PM
fwharris thank you so much. I didn't know Litho was an option - is that only in the Pro software? Thank you. Do you think it will carve well in cedar?

Your file is show in the first line of your post.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I lost my lab back is September. You might try doing your carving as a litho as you will get much better detail. I used your original image. Trying to make a pattern out of a normal image is very difficult to do.

slaveault
10-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog, it is heartbreaking. :(

slaveault
10-03-2018, 07:53 PM
I don't think I can use it, the software says the file was created with a newer version of the software, but I have the most up to date version. I have a feeling it's because I have the basic version. I might have to go a different direction with this.

fwharris
10-03-2018, 08:44 PM
fwharris thank you so much. I didn't know Litho was an option - is that only in the Pro software? Thank you. Do you think it will carve well in cedar?
You can carve this as a litho using the basic version. The only difference is that with the Pro version you can change your board view to see what it would look like as a litho. I've attached it in the basic version.

I do not think it would carve well in wood that is why I suggested the litho type carve. Here are the litho carving instructions. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Jan09.pdf

If you prefer wood you might try this. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/EdZBaker_Photo_CarvingPrep_Instructions.pdf

Mugsowner
10-04-2018, 06:17 AM
I cleaned the picture up a bit, not sure if it will work for you, but here it is. Sorry to hear of your loss.

slaveault
10-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Thank you Mugsowner. I'll try this out.

slaveault
10-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Oh ok fwharris, so I would use something like plexiglass? I'll read the document and check that out. Thank you!

Mugsowner
10-04-2018, 07:55 PM
When making a litho, you are looking for a Corian type material. There are a few other brands out there a bit cheaper. Corian is DuPont product and their trade name for it. Plastics work for certain lighting projects. When dealing with plastics you have to make sure they are not of the type that melt when cut, such as cast acrylic, which is a great choice for carving projects. Extruded acrylic will melt, plexiglass is extruded. Lexan or poly-carbonate works well, it is the type of plastic safety glasses are made from. Plastics also create a lot of static, which means you will have small pieces of plastic everywhere, sticks like glue.