PDA

View Full Version : AUGUST 2018 Project of the Month - "The Happy Country Hen Plaque"!

mtylerfl
08-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Hello,

The “Happy Country Hen” makes a charming decorative addition to your home decor! The sample pictured here has a “plain” woodgrain slat front, but I have included an additional slat version with a text area. The sample text version says “Mama’s Kitchen” as an example for anyone wanting to display it in their kitchen area, but you can edit/customize the text to say whatever you like.

It also occurred to me that it would make a nice clock (see clock simulation photo below). You can use up to a 3.5" outside diameter clock insert (such as Clock Insert Model #15452 from klockit.com). Edit the “plain” slat project file by creating a cutout circle appropriate for the clock insert.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project File(s) (included):
• Hen_Layout.mpc
• Nest_Box_Slats.mpc (plain)
• Nest_Box_Slats-w-Text.mpc*

*You can use this instead of the “plain” slats. Customize the text as you wish.

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Hen Layout: 0.75" x 9" x 21"
Nest Box: 0.5" x 5.5" x 22"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) Dry florist moss as “nest material” a brass triangle ring to hang the plaque (or other hanging method of your choice)

4) Sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details. Optional tools: a small bench top belt sander

Apply the finish of your choice. Here’s what I used on the sample made from Select Pine:

• 4 coats of thinned Bulls Eye SealCoat (50/50 sealer and denatured alcohol). Sanded between coats.

• Painted select areas with acrylic craft paints
- Bonnet, Bow and Eyes: light blue
- Beak: yellow/orange
- Eggs, Bonnet dots and Brim: white
- Nest Box and Slat Front: brown

• Applied light coats of Krylon Clear (flat) spray to seal

•Applied gray craft paint as a glaze - brushed on and wiped most of it off, leaving some in crevices to enhance carving detail. TIP: Moisten a rag with water and wrap around a finger to remove “target areas” you want to make lighter. I did this on the face, beak, bonnet brim and eyes.

• Several light coats of Krylon Clear spray (gloss, then satin) spray, as final clearcoats

oscarl48
08-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Michael, wonderful and creative design. I can see how this also would fit into Thanksgiving as well.

Very impressed on how every month you come out with a very cool pattern for the folks to carve.

SharonB
08-26-2018, 11:22 PM
Can see lots of possibilities using this months project.

mtylerfl
08-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Michael, wonderful and creative design. I can see how this also would fit into Thanksgiving as well.

Very impressed on how every month you come out with a very cool pattern for the folks to carve.

Thank you, Oscar!

mtylerfl
08-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Can see lots of possibilities using this months project.

Yes! Lots of possible uses. I intentionally kept the Hen model as a separate item in the MPC project layout for that reason.

SteveNelson46
08-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Nice project Michael. It should be a good seller for those who do craft shows.

mtylerfl
08-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Nice project Michael. It should be a good seller for those who do craft shows.

Thank you, Steve. I think it will too!

dbemus
08-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Delighted with this project!! It has so many possibilities! I especially like the clock idea! Hoping folks post their finished projects! Thank you Michael!!!

mtylerfl
08-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Delighted with this project!! It has so many possibilities! I especially like the clock idea! Hoping folks post their finished projects! Thank you Michael!!!

Thank you!! I am hoping to see photos from others, too - always “makes my day”!