PDA

View Full Version : Well the air carving turned out to be the z encoder and motor - now

vltrnjd
08-17-2018, 06:57 PM
I installed a new z motor and finally have everything working. The carving is not as refined - I am thinking I may have to tighten the z-truck? I can't feel much wiggle but there is a hair.
The first one is before the trouble started - the second was after the rebuild:

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Second not looking so good....

Something is loose... Same Optimal Setting?

vltrnjd
08-18-2018, 12:38 PM
I did the Best optimal setting - it was a little bit better but not right. The truck is as tight as it should be - Too tight maybe? Also I am thinking the Y is all right but maybe that needs to be tightened? I may go to a long bit for more of a taper. It is a 1/16 carving now - I have a 1/16 long carving.

fwharris
08-18-2018, 02:40 PM
I did the Best optimal setting - it was a little bit better but not right. The truck is as tight as it should be - Too tight maybe? Also I am thinking the Y is all right but maybe that needs to be tightened? I may go to a long bit for more of a taper. It is a 1/16 carving now - I have a 1/16 long carving.
The longer bit will not give you any better detail. Set bit optimization to best and on the upload select optimal. The carve quality could also be a dull bit.

vltrnjd
08-18-2018, 11:50 PM
The bit is brand new - for the carvetight spindle in the new z truck. setting it for best helped some but not enough. Now it is sizing the pattern down - I have not had that before - using it on all of the same settings. I am thinking I need to check the x calibration - although it is proportional. It is the same board over and over - I do not keep it under the rollers and have it center on the width and length. I had updated the software version.

fwharris
08-19-2018, 11:05 AM
The bit is brand new - for the carvetight spindle in the new z truck. setting it for best helped some but not enough. Now it is sizing the pattern down - I have not had that before - using it on all of the same settings. I am thinking I need to check the x calibration - although it is proportional. It is the same board over and over - I do not keep it under the rollers and have it center on the width and length. I had updated the software version.

Did you get a message at the machine asking about scaling? If so that is why. When the machine measured the board it saw it was smaller in either width or length than what your design called for.

vltrnjd
08-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Success - I figured it out - I had cut many different samples into the same board it was throwing the measure off - I taped the board and voila - it worked. I am now adjusting height and depth on the pattern for the right relief. this is close. Thank-you all for your time and patience in working me through this. Heck, its almost a new machine now.