PDA

View Full Version : New style Y gearbox

Dale
07-30-2018, 08:07 PM
I have the new style Y gearbox that has bad bearings at 234 hours. I was surprised to find out that it only has one of the "zz" bearings and one large bearing. The wear was at the zz bearing and not sure if replacing the bearing now will help. I don't think anyone has posted pictures yet so I'll add them here.
(Sorry about them being upside down)

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Thank You for posting the Pictures. The ZZ is metal shield both sides.

So the 685 ZZ Bearing went bad? or the bigger one? Any shaft wear?

Can you post them over on the FB Page too. I know the interest is high.

Does the bigger bearing have a size or number stamped on it...?

Can you measure it? In Metric?

Thanks,

AL

tackytim
07-31-2018, 09:29 AM
I'll throw out my guess that its either a 605 or 625 bearing. This is just a guess and it's assuming the thickness is identical to the old style. The OD would be 14 or 16mm.

The suspense!!!

Dale
07-31-2018, 11:16 AM
Sorry Al, I already have the gearbox back together and installed in the machine so I cannot measure the large bearing although I did look for a number on it and there isn't one on the exposed side. The zz bearing went bad and there was a very small wear spot on the shaft so I had my doubts that replacing the bearing was going to work but at least for now the play is gone. I did not notice a problem with the gearbox but I had the machine apart already and since I was close to the 250 hours I decided to replace the bearings early and it was after I had it removed that I noticed the play, there was not much but it was there. Guess I'll only go to 150 hours and see what that does. I will post the picture on FB later today.

Digitalwoodshop
07-31-2018, 12:39 PM
No problem, GLAD I got to see a new style.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

AL