PDA

View Full Version : Snipe issues

cjones
07-27-2018, 05:21 PM
I am carving a sign for a client and for some reason, am getting snipe. I have carved it twice, the first time I had it on both ends. The second, only on one. I am using a sled with 3.5" spacers on each end and have checked my out feed trays, all OK. Any ideas would be great. See pictures for what I am talking about. The 1st carve was set a little to deep and the second one is not much thicker. It is carver out of cedar wood from Lowe's.

I have used this same sled on other projects with the same spaces and have not had this issue, only on these two carves.

Chris

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2018, 09:04 PM
So with the board or project in your sled measure from the edge of the sled to the snipe. What is that measurement? Likely 3.5 inches.

With the project in the sled. Place the project under the bit on the trays and see where it is bumping up or down. IS your sled bumping UP on the tray steel roller?

A picture with your project IN the sled would tell us more.

I know you say the trays are OK but the board will tell us if they are really OK...

AL

SteveNelson46
07-28-2018, 09:59 AM
It's probably one of two things. Either the in-feed and out-feed support tables are not level with the rubber belts or the project does not stay under the rollers through the entire carve.

cjones
08-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Thanks also for the feedback. I think I have determined the issue. Ran Another test and noticed that my 3.5" blocks on each end were slightly thicker than the board I was carving. I have made a couple 3.5" boards so as they match the carving board thickness. Will let you know how it comes out.

Chris

Digitalwoodshop
08-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Thanks also for the feedback. I think I have determined the issue. Ran Another test and noticed that my 3.5" blocks on each end were slightly thicker than the board I was carving. I have made a couple 3.5" boards so as they match the carving board thickness. Will let you know how it comes out.

Chris

THAT is something to ADD to my list of questions to ASK next time someone has a problem like THIS...

Thanks for the feedback.

AL

bergerud
08-04-2018, 10:35 AM
The clue could have been that the snipe went higher at the end as opposed to going lower. The board was pushed down instead of lifting up.