PDA

View Full Version : Carving Letters

john e kline
03-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I have tried to carve several signs and am having problems with the letters. The bit seems to chip out letters on the diagional like "w" also same results on smaller letters. Any advice? JOHN

Sarge
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
John, this problem can be caused by several factors. 1. Cut depth is set too deep, 2. type of wood, 3. the cutting bit is chipped or burred.

Try to set letter depth around .150 to .250, any deeper and they'll chip out. Real hard woods seem to chip out more than medium density woods. And I don't think I need to say anything more about the bit.:D

rgant05
03-31-2007, 09:17 PM
John,
What size letters are you cutting? Do you have a picture you can post of what is happening. Without knowing more its hard to be right on target with an answer, but Sarge is on track with what he is recommending. If you get down to 1/2" - 1" letters the more you can "cheat" the better, like using the bold version of the font, high bit optimization might help a slight amount and I would probably recommend a max of .125 -.150 depth. Of course if you have CorelDraw you can really cheat some by using Corel to adjust the profile of the lettering more than just a staight sided letter. I am including a link to one small sign that I made that the lettering was about an 1/8" deep and had a base of 1/8" with the top being about 1/16 and rounded. All these techniques increase your ability to go down in size without the chip out.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2792&page=2

(post # 11) Post # 1 of that thread has another example of changing the profile of the top of the letter. Those on Maggie's sign didin't need it because the font was large enough and had a heavy stroke (selected for boldness) but the curved top added to the appearance of the project.

Woods will make a difference also, but given some techniques of prevention, chipout an be minimized.

Roger