PDA

View Full Version : Burning, How to stop it.

HonorBox
06-22-2018, 05:40 AM
Hello. I am making some awards for a golf tournament and have been carving for almost 3yrs now on the CarveWright. I still have not figured out how to get rid of the burn marks on all my cut I do. Does anyone know how to prevent this? It is also because it is carving at such a slow speed with crazy fast revolutions. If only there is a way to increase the speed of the route it would be a lot better. Anyways any.help would be appreciated. Thanks.

DickB
06-22-2018, 06:50 AM
Burning is not normal. On what type of cuts is this happening - V carve, cutouts? Are you using Carvewright bits? Pictures would help.

Geomoo1
06-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Burning is usually caused by a dull bit. Try changing bits even if you are using a new one. Possibly a bad bit.

bergerud
06-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Burning also happens with high moisture wood.

fwharris
06-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Not cleaning your bits to remove pitch build up is probably the #1 cause for them burning.

HonorBox
06-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I do clean my bits after every use. So there is no build up on the actual Cutting Edge of the bit. The type of carving that I am doing is cut outs but doing a cut path with a 3/16 Roman ogee the actual carvewright bit. And trust me nobody makes a 3/16 Roman ogee bit available because I've gone to five different stores and it seems like carvewright is the only one that I can get it from. I will attach a picture of the award that I have done with the burn marks. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks8612486125.

rnichols
06-22-2018, 08:00 PM
Do you have a router table or router? I have only once did routing with the CarveWright and had similar problems. I now use my router table only. I'm not saying it can't be done, I not sure if you can use the bit in multiple passes to get the depth you want. I have heard that routing with your machine could cause more ware and tear than normal carving. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

HonorBox
06-22-2018, 09:32 PM
I do have a router and a table. It's just that I am doing 16 of these and it makes sense to use the machine for productivity and producing the product. I might try and just cut the figure and shape out then take it to the router table. It's just one more step into the process doing it that way.

DickB
06-23-2018, 08:02 AM
I have never done a cut like that, but based on my router experience I would agree that the speed of cut is too slow. I would try a test cut with a new bit, even if it were not the Roman Ogee, just to rule out bit sharpness. But then I would contact Carvewright technical support and/or Connie. On the surface, this looks like a problem that only they can fix. I suspect not many users are making this type of cut, and Carvewright may be unaware. Meantime I would employ the work-around that you suggested.

HonorBox
06-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Thank you Dickb, I appreciate your comments and your advice. I think I will go ahead and give Tech a call and see what they suggest and also let them know if they are unaware of what this bit is doing. Hopefully they have a solution maybe there is some type of setting or some type of program that I can or it will allow me to slow down the speed. Because like I said at the beginning is definitely is an issue of going too slow and therefore causing it to burn. I do have a lot of experience with routers and this is exactly what happens when you go too slow. I just wish there was an option so that I could change the speed myself. I think carvewright is a good program and a good machine I'm just not enough options to run manually yourself.

DickB
06-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Most of the time I think it is an advantage that the software selects feed rates. I can imagine the learning curve for setting these yourself (as with other CNC machines) would likely be non-trivial. I suspect novice users especially would have problems with setting incorrect feed rates. But yes in this case the software may be at fault, and having the ability to change a default setting would be one answer. Good luck and please keep us informed of the outcome, as I'm sure others are also having this problem.

bergerud
06-24-2018, 10:14 AM
By carefully choosing the max pass depth, I think one can get the machine to do a shallow finish pass. Might be worth a try.

HonorBox
06-25-2018, 12:34 AM
Don't know if I'm quite following you on this one bergerud. Could you explain what you mean?

bergerud
06-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Suppose you want to make the cut at 0.325". If you choose the max path depth to be 0.15", the machine will make three passes. The first two will be at 0.15" and the last one will be 0.025" since 0.325 = 0.15+0.15+0.025. This way one can control the depth of the last pass. The last shallow pass would produce less heat and, hopefully, clean up any burn marks.

Worth a try. Experiment.

gashawk
06-25-2018, 10:48 AM
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=3%2F16%20Roman%20ogee&cat_id=0 plenty of bits, order on line

HonorBox
06-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Ok I see what you are saying. Yes it will be worth a try. Il let you know how it turns out. Thanks.