PDA

View Full Version : how to seperate insignia for a friend

vanhooseja
06-21-2018, 09:53 PM
One of my army budies was in a NATO unit and I would like to build him a plaque and was needing help on seperating the elements to add back to it any ideas?86119

bergerud
06-22-2018, 12:12 AM
You really need a higher resolution graphic to work from.

oscarl48
06-22-2018, 11:14 AM
There are many ways to tackle this project. Since it is a low resolution graphic you are pretty much limited to recreating it using designer basic, 2d add-on, 2d graphics program, 3d modeling,...etc. Pick one and start learning the software.

With low resolution graphics there is typically no magic bullet software that will give you a good pattern.

The graphic is not too complex so it should be a good learning project.

oscarl48
06-22-2018, 03:20 PM
As a strategy to create the pattern, I would build three levels. The pieces in black would be one level. The spade would be the next level. Finally the floor would be the last level.

If you don't have advanced 2d graphics skills (I don't) the next easiest tool to use is the 2d add-on.

This type of pattern is completely doable with designer basic but probably would take a few hours to complete.

3d modeling is probably the last resort but again completely doable and would, in my opinion, give the most unique look, especially if the skull was sculpted in 2.5d instead of as a flat render.

vanhooseja
06-22-2018, 08:41 PM
I have the full gambit and figured I would need to break them apart but unsure the process.

oscarl48
06-22-2018, 11:15 PM
You literally redraw the image in 2.5d using the tools you have, one element at a time. You have to learn each of the add-on software.

http://support.carvewright.com/learning_guide/

It takes time to make good patterns and its not easy (most of the time). It can be really time consuming in the beginning but you do get faster.

I use third party software so not an expert with the add-ons in any way.

oscarl48
06-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Give it a try. If you have problems or are in time crunch pm me your email and I'll send you a pattern I made from the image. It is not perfect and it is my interpretation of the image.

It had a skull so I had to play with making a pattern. The image was really grainy so there are parts that I just took a guess at.

vanhooseja
06-24-2018, 12:15 AM
I found a better image and watched one of Buddy’s videos so I know have a pattern to work with but still need to learn 2.5d

oscarl48
06-24-2018, 01:03 PM
I hope you find pattern making as much fun as I have. It's really rewarding artistically to be able to make your own patterns. Allows you to envision something in your head and then make it a reality.

vanhooseja
06-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Thats what I want to do but artistically I have issues with coming up with ideas. I can see something and be like hmm that looks good lets see if I can do that this way or duplicate which I feel like im cheating/stealing.

oscarl48
06-25-2018, 08:13 AM
It will come. The first step is to master the tools. That way most of the mental energy is focused on the design versus trying to figure out how to do something.

And most times you will be copying stuff since that is the idea of most cnc carvings. But they will have your style built into them based on your artistic vision, design decisions, and specific techniques you use in building your patterns.

I am still working on it myself after many years trying to learn this stuff.