PDA

View Full Version : Playing with wood and electricity

gwhiz
06-18-2018, 07:03 AM
So, I've been seeing a lot of Lichtenberg figures posted on the internet lately...and I had a neon sign transformer in the attic from my son's high school tesla coil project so i thought that I'd give it a try. Results have been pretty interesting so far! (and all three of these are upright on my computer!)

Mugsowner
06-18-2018, 07:42 AM
I love the look and have been playing with these bruning for a year or so now. I built my burner with a old microwave and have added a variac to boost input voltage and give me more control. This does make awesome designs, but keep in mind the hazards involved. The output is around 2000 volts at .5 amps, which is enough to prevent you from doing anything again if you tangle with it in a bad way. I find the look to cool to stay away from. Great projects gwhiz, I'm sure they will go over well.

gwhiz
06-18-2018, 07:51 AM
I love the look and have been playing with these bruning for a year or so now. I built my burner with a old microwave and have added a variac to boost input voltage and give me more control. This does make awesome designs, but keep in mind the hazards involved. The output is around 2000 volts at .5 amps, which is enough to prevent you from doing anything again if you tangle with it in a bad way. I find the look to cool to stay away from. Great projects gwhiz, I'm sure they will go over well.

86108 The neon sign transformer is 12,000 volts, lower amps than the MOT, but still enough to be vewy vewy careful around!

Mugsowner
06-18-2018, 05:30 PM
I like the the sign, seems to get the point across. i will have to look into a neon transformer then run it through a variac to boost the input voltage with control. I am work on rounding up parts for a mouse/rat trap using a mot, should be interesting if nothing else.

CarverJerry
06-19-2018, 04:33 PM
I played around with that for a while. Called it lightning art, and using a little water prior to placing my probs made things really cool. Also try drawing using a pencil along with a spray bottle. My transformer was 30K, just be careful.