PDA

View Full Version : Using Inkscape for DXF

DianMayfield
05-05-2018, 02:49 PM
This is a workflow for creating an outline that can be cut in Designer. In this example, it is meant to be able to cut out a word. See the numbers in the image for what it will look like.

1) Type in your text. Choose a font that is easy to overlap to create a continuous final word. Modifying the glyph to connect them is another topic :)
Copy your original text if the letters do not completely touch. Make as many copies as needed to account for each gap in the letters.

2) I removed the fill and added an outline so you can see that the "union" step later worked.
Add an underline (this is just a box shape) below the whole word, this will help you align the pieces.
In the first copy, delete the letters that are not connected to the first letter.
In the second copy, delete the first letter

3) Align the two sections of the word and overlap to create a strong junction

4) Remove the alignment box.
Go to Path menu item
Select Union (5th option) This will eliminate the overlapping pieces of the letters

5) Save as Desktop Cutting Plotter (DXF)

Hope this helps someone :)

CheriWhite
05-05-2018, 06:12 PM
SCREENSHOT!!! Taping this to my forehead!

Question....when you have the file imported into Designer and realize that you have some "skinny" areas....how can you move more than one purple dot at the same time. Like to keep a curve the same shape ...just a little wider. Make sense??

CheriWhite
05-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Once a word has "cut path" applied I can see if an area is too skinny....is there a way to rotate the inside of a letter?? I can drag it narrower or shorter but I kinda just need to rotate it just a bit clockwise inside the space.

DianMayfield
05-06-2018, 07:04 AM
Once a word has "cut path" applied I can see if an area is too skinny....is there a way to rotate the inside of a letter?? I can drag it narrower or shorter but I kinda just need to rotate it just a bit clockwise inside the space.

Not with just Designer or the 3D add on. I don't have the 2D add on because I have always used Corel, so I don't know if that would allow rotation.

One thing you can try - When applying the cut paths, Flip the outside line. Then don't flip, or apply an inset to, the center of letters like O, R.

While you cannot rotate or flip a vector in Designer, during the import process you can flip or mirror an element. This is helpful if you have several pieces in the design, and you want to make more fit on a smaller board. Think of a W... you waste a lot of space if you just line them up with the wide part at the top. In the import widow, you can flip every other one to nest them better.

DianMayfield
05-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Question....when you have the file imported into Designer and realize that you have some "skinny" areas....how can you move more than one purple dot at the same time. Like to keep a curve the same shape ...just a little wider. Make sense??

I had to try this to find out, and I don't think you can. Someone else may have a way to do it. And again, it might require the 2D module.

If for instance, you know that the minimum width you would want to cut is 1/2 inch, create a "dot" in Inkscape that is 1/2". Then test it around your design, make note of which elements should be either modified or the cut path Flipped differently in Designer.

DianMayfield
05-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Something I can do in Corel that I haven't been able to figure out in Inkscape yet is outlining a design. So, if I think my font is a little thin, I apply a thick outline in the font settings, then I can apply a separate outline of the entire thing. Still working on getting this done. Will update if I figure it out :)

SteveNelson46
05-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Vectors cannot be rotated in the Designer regardless of any add-on package. However, you can rotate vectors in the DXF importer during the import process.

The technique I use to change the shape after importing is to make a copy of the vector and paste it back in at the original location. Then you will have a reference to go by.

I rarely ever use the line drawing tools in the Designer. For me, Aspire usually does the best job but sometimes Corel Draw works good too. Then export as a DXF.

DianMayfield
05-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Thanks Steve! My Win 10 machine (or the bios update) changed my machine ID, so I was going by memory. On my old laptop with ver 1, the rotate is only in 45 degree increments. Is this still the case in ver 3?

I bought a small cnc with a laser head, I need to buckle down and learn Aspire!

SteveNelson46
05-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Thanks Steve! My Win 10 machine (or the bios update) changed my machine ID, so I was going by memory. On my old laptop with ver 1, the rotate is only in 45 degree increments. Is this still the case in ver 3?

I bought a small cnc with a laser head, I need to buckle down and learn Aspire!

Dian,

It can be rotated to any angle using the mouse.

The learning curve for Aspire isn't too bad once you get past the "beginner's concept" and really start to understand 3D graphics. They have the best tutorial videos and tech support in the business and do not charge for add-ons. In fact, there are no add-ons. Everything is built into the program and if any flaws or problems are discovered a patch is issued as soon as possible. It's a little pricey at first though but interim upgrades are always free and major version upgrades are reasonable. I build most of my patterns and vectors with it.

EDIT: BTW, I have never had to re-register or re-install the software because my machine signature has changed. They don't use that kind of verification and it virtually never crashes.

CheriWhite
05-07-2018, 02:11 PM
I can tweak fonts in Inkscape....no problems there. If you're working on something you want outlined email it to me....I'm not a pro in Inkscape but I'm pretty decent! LOL

Do you understand "nodes"' in Inkscape?

CheriWhite
05-07-2018, 02:13 PM
That makes sense.... lol

Thanks!