PDA

View Full Version : Objects location gets locked

MarkJamesDesign
03-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I have been playing with the trial software and have found that occasionally a design element will get locked into a location and I can't move it. I can stretch L or W but can't move. Seems to happen mostly when I choose 2 or more objects to align or move. Any insight would be appreciated.

Jim

Skyhawk
03-31-2007, 08:05 AM
This usually happens when you have an item set to center vertically or horizontally...If you right click the items and click the center option, make sure the three options are unchecked!

Jeff_Birt
03-31-2007, 08:45 AM
You can also attach (constrain) an objects position by selecting the object and right clicking its boarder and selecting 'Attach' or selecting one of the green diminsion lines and changing its value.

rgant05
03-31-2007, 01:14 PM
The solution to the above mentioned "constraints" is that when you place constraint on an object, is to remove that constraint so that you can again move it. If you have used one of the center functions, such as center horizontally or center vertically, you can see the button depressed on the toolbar (slightly different color or shade). With that object selected, press it again to remove that constraint. If you have placed a constrain on a position reference, such as distance to edge of board or distance to the centerlines, the distance will be in yellow instead of the green that it started out as. Right click that diminsion and chose "remove attachment", and it will be green again, and you can move the object. Its not a fluke in the software but rather the software doing what you told it to do..... I have just sometimes told it to do something that I didn't realize I told it LOL All a matter of getting used to the program which will come in time.

Oh, and aligning an object with another is a form of constraint. If either of them has a constraint (yellow diminsion) that attaches it to the centerline or edge of the board then neither object will move contrary to that constraing. If you still have a problem understanding why a particular item won't move, you might try posting the file so that a more specific reason can be determined.

Roger

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2007, 08:05 PM
So to review, if the location numbers are yellow they are constrained. If they are green you can move in all directions. To make the location constrained by accident, you most likely picked it to move it in the wrong place and got the position data block. To get rid of it you hit enter...., like I did.... It will now be yellow constrained. Right click on the yellow and select remove attachment, your back to green.

Using constrains helps when I make a cut out around a sign. I slect 90 degrees constrained on the 2 lower corners then set the sides and bottom length. Then with the arc tool make the top.

AL

MarkJamesDesign
03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
I get it now. I feel so stupid. I am constantly telling my wife and daughter to read the help file when they don't know how to use an app. I didn't realize the help file on the trial version would be so in depth. Just had to look. Thanks for the input guys (or gals?).

rgant05
03-31-2007, 09:40 PM
BTW Mark,
The "trial version" IS the full version of the software. The only "trial" part of it is that if you don't buy the machine and register the software to your computer, the program will stop working after 15 days I think it was.... maybe longer... can't remember now.

Roger

MarkJamesDesign
03-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Mine said 30 days. I guess I need to save all my project files to another location so I don't accidentally lose them when I install the software with my CC in a few days.

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes, move the files to another directory soon.

AL

rgant05
04-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Of course it is always good to back up all your projects and also the pattern files, but it won't mess with them when you activate your software once you get your machine's serial number. They don't disappear or anything like that when the 30 days expires. The software will not work other than to allow you to activate it, but nothing diabolical :) goes on.