PDA

View Full Version : Machine goes back to main menu

jrooth6577
03-14-2018, 05:13 PM
I looked and could find no precedent for this "problem". I have a small project of 12" by 10" carving out of a board 19" by 11.25". My problem is the machine goes through all the bit sizing and then it starts to carve. First time this morning it carved for almost an hour (3-hour project) and then it said to reboot the machine. After reboot, it came to option 8 by itself and when I pressed enter it does nothing. Then I press the 8 key and then enter with the same "nothing" result.

Being a noobie in this world of carving, I figure I was doing something wrong. So I aborted, got a new piece of board 19" X 11.25", and started the process all over. This time it made it almost an inch into the project (ten inches long) and stopped
and went to the Home menu asking for a new project. (Okay two boards down) Now I go to the third board. This time it may have lasted five minutes after the setup before it stopped and went to the main menu asking for a new project. I am using a 3/8" Classic Ogee, a 1/8" cutting bit and a 1/32" carving bit. :sad: I am hoping I was able to load the project so someone could see what I had wrong (if anything).

fwharris
03-14-2018, 06:45 PM
The most common cause for resetting back to the main menu is a loose/broken connection of the C1 capacitor on the power supply.

Option 8 on the main menu it for repeating the previous function. It only works when doing the built in cutting function like rip and cross cut.

While looking at your project I noticed a few things. Your text height could be to high and it might chip out. Also the text on your pattern looks like it might not show up very well. See attached images.

jrooth6577
03-14-2018, 07:53 PM
I appreciate your getting back to me as quickly as you did. I guess my next question is do I want to pull the machine apart or do I need help from the factory seeing as I have less than 10 hours on the machine? What warranty issues, if any, would be involved. I feel comfortable doing the check myself if I had pictures or a schematic to go by.

Thanks for your input on the lettering on my proposed project. I may be 70 years old but I always thought I lived this long by listening to them that know! I will lower the height if I ever have this $4000 paperweight making sawdust again.

fwharris
03-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Actually I was wrong with the C1 capacitor, it is actually the L2 Coil. Here is a link to a post to give you more info. https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21516-Machine-restarts&p=186372#post186372

I would definitely contact CarveWright about your issue since your machine is still under warranty. The might have more ideas as well.

bergerud
03-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Have you tried to reformat and reflash the card? It could be a firmware issue.

jrooth6577
03-14-2018, 08:52 PM
I'll call in the morning. Maybe they have a magical cure. Had a problem the other day. The machine was running fine and then it stopped - no error message. It did say to press 8 to restart. But no matter what button I pushed, it did absolutely nothing. Finally I turned it off and unplugged for thirty seconds. Any cap in there had plenty of time to discharge. People at Carvewright said they had never run into the problem. Sounds like my luck is running true to form. That's okay, my bride still loves me...

jrooth6577
03-14-2018, 08:58 PM
No I haven't My understanding was it is a proprietary program (on the card) and that made me think formatting it would not be the way to go. I guess I need to find out about reformatting. Is there a function in Designer Pro that does formatting? I did remove all programming other than the one I was trying to use. Thought maybe a memory issue. Do you know how much ram is in the computer itself?

fwharris
03-14-2018, 09:53 PM
You can reformat the card by using the flash manager under the file tab.

jrooth6577
03-14-2018, 11:26 PM
Thanks. I will try that before I call customer support.

jrooth6577
03-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Follow up - After formatting and reflashing, it would seem like everything is back. Then I came to this machine (computer) and find that my carving program has reverted back to the demo version. I am moving forward as it is a great day to CARVE! Thanks again for the help and support given last night by all. I saw a light at the end of the tunnel because of it.

fwharris
03-15-2018, 02:23 PM
I bet you had some kind of windows update. Try re registering if you have only installed on one computer or call CarveWright to have them reset your computer ID.