PDA

View Full Version : Ok tell me what you think?

RC Woodworks
03-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I took all the advise and listen too! I change to a 1/16 bit and adjusted the height and dept and this is how it turned out.

The poppys even came ok not great but ok

rjp736
03-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Looks very nice !!!

RC Woodworks
03-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Thank you!

Rick

forqnc
03-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Very nice, what type of wood did you use?

Router-Jim
03-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Very nice clean design. That's definitely one to be proud of.

Ron Smith
03-30-2007, 08:33 PM
I took all the advise and listen too! I change to a 1/16 bit and adjusted the height and dept and this is how it turned out.

The poppys even came ok not great but ok

That looks great! Are you going to paint it or stain it? Be sure and post pictures of the finished product.

rjustice
03-30-2007, 09:07 PM
This looks really nice... Curious as to how big the sign is, and how long it took to carve... I have been doing smaller stuff, and have already had people asking me how much for bigger signs... just havent figured out how long it takes, so i can estimate...

Ron

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2007, 09:47 PM
RC
You might like to try that with " bold" lettering also.
Word of caution to first time signmakers , NOT -U-RC, if your lettering is too thin it might breakout

Very nice , looks smooth.

RC Woodworks
03-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Thank you Dan for clarifying !!!! I have been making signs for almost 27 years!! I do normally use all caps when I use my stencils and hand rout them.

I have been testing different heights and depths. I set the heigth at 750 and 1/8 for letter depth. For the background I used horizontial waves set a 6" apart and 1/4 depth. This sign took about 4 hours for the CC to carve at normal. If you notice when you upload your project it will give you a time estimate to finish.

None of the letters broke out, I also made sure I didn't stretch the width of the letters too much.

This sign is 14 1/2" wide and 30" long. I use reclaimed old growth redwood. This sign will have white letters and I am going to keep the background natural. Then I will clear coat it with Hydrocote Polyshield, I use a HVLP sprayer. This finish is water based and very forgiving and dries quickly. Oh a green border, the customer wanted it!

I am making 2 of the same signs and when I am finished I will post the finished product.

liquidguitars
03-31-2007, 12:51 AM
cool, nice work!

Lig

pamjmayo
03-31-2007, 12:57 AM
I was so impressed with your sign. Everything works so well. Please tell me how you cut the oval. How did you finish the sign? Is it just Tung Oil. Anwyway, I'm impressed

RC Woodworks
03-31-2007, 01:37 AM
Thank you Pam, the sign is not finished yet. The lumber I use is reclaimed old growth redwood. I buy only old growth from the redwood coast near Eureka Ca. I live 6 hours away but I hope to be moving an hour away.

Making a oval is fairly easy, in the designer you have a function that allows you make ovals, circles, squares etc. First you pick the size of sign this case it 15" by 30" then I use the oval function and lay out the oval. You can size it by hand or adjust it in the size boxes go 14 1/2 " wide and 30" long.

The CC will only allow about a 14 1/2" wide project. Then to cut away the square portions you have a function that looks like a board with a saw cutting thru it. It gives you the options to cut away or hide cut. You want cut away and then hit except.

To put an inside oval you do the same thing as the outside if you want a 1" border then make your oval 13" by 28" and center it. Oh each time you make an oval choose a bit, for the outside you want a cutting bit and I use a V groove for the inside.

The best way to find out all the function in the designer is to mess around with it and as you have done ask questions! I will always answers if I know how to do something. Most of the people in here will help.

Hope I explained it clear enough, any other questions just ask!!!!

rgant05
03-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Rick,

Turned out good. How did you handle the different size capital letters that centered on the smaller letters? I was thinking I would see how in the mpc file, but it is appearently an earlier save of the file.

Roger

RC Woodworks
03-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Roger here you go. Oh it was the type of font.

kywodman
03-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Looks ok to me RC I think it will sell.

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Very well made sign and well explained process too.
It sure is nice working with the redwood, except for the acrid dust that is.
I used the blur tool and manual de-speckle in photoshop to even out an image it makes it a smoother cut in designer. I just learned this today BTW. It seems a little familiarity with a graphics editing program is needed as much as wood working know how for this machine.

rjp736
03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Very nice!

RC Woodworks
03-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks again, the height setting and bit made the cut smooth. Yes I will most likely die from redwood dust! Especially old growth but with the CC I set and go inside!

But at the fairs I will be in my 7' X 12' shop. I plan on putting in some better exhaust. I do have a oh crud I can't remember the name of it! It is a face shield with a dust protector. Can remember the name of it ......old age or redwood dust!

Thanks again the second one came out well. I am afraid to let it cut the outside oval all the way thru. Has anyone let the machine cut all the way through? Or does it need a sacraficial under it?

Gman_Ind
03-31-2007, 11:31 PM
I let it cut off my wallplates it leaves tabs to hold it in place. As long as there is good solid wood where it leaves the tabs it holds it in place fine. the cutoff operation is the last operation so the last pass at final depth is even a light one so not much stress is placed on the wood. It looks like the full height oval ring on your sign would be enough to hold in the sign, it won't reach all the way through if your wood is too thick.

RC Woodworks
03-31-2007, 11:47 PM
Cool thank you Gman! I forgot about it today and it did that on one end. It stopped asking for a cutting bit. It had it in I change it when it started the outside oval.

This signs is only on 4/4 stock so the bit wouls have no trouble going thru. I was worried it would cut into the sandpaper or hit the board sensor etc.

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2007, 09:09 AM
RC,

Very nice sign. I am learning from it. Here is pictures of my sign with the cut out shown on the back. As long as you use the cut out tool it should set the tabs properly. No backing board is needed as the bit stays between the belts at all times.

Good Job !!!!

AL

This might be a great addition to your sign works for customers. White PVC board with Reflective Blue film attached. first sand the board to remove any oils or dirt. Apply the film and roll with a J roller for laminating. Let it sit 24 to 48 hours to seal. I covered the surface with low tack tape to protect it but works fine without it. I was going to rout out the back cavity for the electronics but one and a half hours of cutting time, better to do it by hand.

You can get the film on eBay or sign suppliers. I have other colors that I am going to try. Looking at Frog Spit to seal the sign and provide UV protection. I am learning as I go.

The sign suppliers have hangers for signs in 24 inch for $36.00.... Looks like it is time to hook up the welder.... Laser Engraving, Sublimation, V Carved Signs, ..... Welding...... This it TOO much fun......

AL

RC Woodworks
04-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks Al, my uncle uses pvc boards. I know I have spoke of my uncle a few times. He is the person who taught the signs business to me. I have all his old stencils and still can't find that one fonts name!!!!!

I will start buying different sign materials when I know the CC is going to work out. I am still a bit leery about the machine, kind of get that way being on the 4th unit!

Good news is just the cut motor problem. The message comes up a few minutes into the project I hit enter and it finishes the job.

So you put the holes in the lettering so it illuminates them? What do you use for the lighting?

This week is going to be busy! I made the other Lassen sign yesterday and I still have 6 more signs for this order. Then I have a double sided 3' by 5' sign I have to make the old fashion way. ALL BY HAND!!!! Then I am trying a new thing I have a 2' by 3' oval sign I am using the CC to make. I laid out the top and bottom half in 2 projects.

Take a look and tell me what you think.