PDA

View Full Version : Finished Lithopane Projects

cjones
02-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Just wondering if anyone puts some kind of clear finish on their lithopanes after they have carved them or do you just leave them as is. I am talking about the Candle Stone Gifts product.

Chris

CarverJerry
02-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Right off the machine is just fine. But I do put mine in a shadowbox with LED's in the box.

jrooth6577
08-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Right off the machine is just fine. But I do put mine in a shadowbox with LED's in the box.

Do you use any type of defuser on the LED lights? I am planning on making a box about an inch high and putting LED lights on the side of the box. Then I will mount the lithophane and frame on top of the box. The LED will not be facing the lithophane but will be used as indirect lighting. Also thinking of putting tin foil on the sides of the box to create a "bounced" lighting effect. Got all sorts of ideas but haven't a clue as to what will work, how many LED lights will be needed for an 8X10 lithophane, and more importantly, what the heck I am doing! Any thoughts?:confused:

fwharris
08-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Do you use any type of defuser on the LED lights? I am planning on making a box about an inch high and putting LED lights on the side of the box. Then I will mount the lithophane and frame on top of the box. The LED will not be facing the lithophane but will be used as indirect lighting. Also thinking of putting tin foil on the sides of the box to create a "bounced" lighting effect. Got all sorts of ideas but haven't a clue as to what will work, how many LED lights will be needed for an 8X10 lithophane, and more importantly, what the heck I am doing! Any thoughts?:confused:

Paint the inside of the box white instead of using foil. I started out using foil and a good friend of mine convinced me other wise. Put the LED lights all of the way around the inside of the box.

jrooth6577
08-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Thanks, I will do that very thing. Will let you know what the results are in a couple of weeks. I always make more sawdust than necessary and might even go so far as to change my name to "oops!" or something a tad more colorful. In any event, I need to get started!

CarverJerry
08-15-2018, 12:24 PM
This is how I do my boxes with LED's. Seems to work good for me. Hope this will help out.
http://s881.photobucket.com/user/CarverJerry/library/Lightbox%20for%20Lithopanes

jrooth6577
08-15-2018, 02:49 PM
I hope I am not duplicating this reply. Got several things going and get confused easily. In any event, thank you, Jerry. I have a clear path of what I need to do now.

Mike1
08-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Great link Jerry, thank you. How do you prop it or do you hang it? Thank again.

CarverJerry
08-17-2018, 11:34 AM
The box is wide enough where it will sit. I don't like to hang it since there is a power cord going to it.

jrooth6577
09-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Promised to show you how my lithophane turned out. I have attached the original photo and one of the lithophane. I have some work to do on the frame but have just thrown one together to display the stone. Thanks for all who have helped me and I am very open to critiques about my carving.

edsingletary
09-25-2018, 05:18 PM
I so badly want to do lithopanes but I was scared off when I tried on acrylic I bought online and the bit just gave up and the . I hate to order corian , seems so expensive from lhr.

Any place I can order reasonable I have a sled already made for 10x10.

Thanks Ed

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

myshop1044
09-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Ed, candlestonegifts.com is the best for litho material

edsingletary
09-26-2018, 05:37 AM
Thanks for that reference.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mugsowner
09-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Corian cut offs can also be found on eBay at nice prices.