PDA

View Full Version : FEBRUARY 2018 Project of the Month - The "Wanted Poster" Mirror!

mtylerfl
02-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Hello,

The Wanted Poster Mirror is a fun project that features two-sided machining to create a recess for the mirror on the backside and a Wanted Poster replica on the frontside! Just look in the mirror and whoever you see is “wanted” by the Law - turn in the rascal and collect a reward!

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project File(s) (included):
• Wanted_Poster_Mirror.mpc

2) Board(s) with the following dimensions: 0.75" x 11" x 24.5"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) Mirror Tile, glass cutter, glazer points, sheet of medium-thick cardboard for mirror backing, two triangle picture hangers, large-head nails (roofing nails)

4) Sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details. Optional tools: a small bench top belt sander

Apply your choice of finish.
Here’s what I used on the sample made from Select Pine:

• 2 coats of thinned Bulls Eye SealCoat. Sanded again.
(50/50 sealer and denatured alcohol)

• Several coats Krylon clear to seal

•Applied Rust-Oleum Wheat stain as a glaze
(brushed on and wiped off most of it)

• 2 coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic (flat) spray to seal

• “Dab painted” the lettering with flat black craft paint
using a piece of “Magic Eraser” as an applicator

• Several light coats of Clear Acrylic (flat) spray

fwharris
02-22-2018, 04:27 PM
Another nice project Michael but I thought we would get to see your mug shot in the mirror! ;)

oscarl48
02-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Always imaginative and cool. Great looking project.

SteveNelson46
02-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Michael,

Aren't you the clever one.

mtylerfl
02-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Thank you all! I tried getting a photo of me in the mirror, but it just looked like an old guy taking a photo of an old guy taking a photo!

dbemus
02-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Great project Michael! I can't wait to hang this one on the wall and watch people as they look in the mirror and "catch the message!" I am sure it would get attention for a craft show display! Thanks for another great project!!!

mtylerfl
02-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Thank you! I think it will be a good one for craft show booths, too!

Would be a great item for Western bars - maybe have a row of them hung up along a wall or hallway?