PDA

View Full Version : Need bit adaptor info

jeepers94
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
First,I did do a search. I just picked up my machine. I thought it would come with a 1/2" bit adaptor,but I guess I was wrong. Where can I buy these? I tried to email CW,but they say it will take a week to get back to me with an answer(some support system). I have read about Sears Quickrout adaptors,but there seems to be severa versions of these. What is the number of the suggested set to use for the CC?
Would you suggest I use 1/2" or 1/4" bits? The 1/2" would disipate heat better,but might be harder for the machine to handle.

Charles M
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Sears item 26694 is the 1/2" adapters and 26695 is the 1/4" adapters (each has three adapters for 9.99). As a rule, 1/2" shank bits are best. There are a few exceptions but I don't think any of the bits approved for the CompuCarve would be in that category. Oh, and get some Loc-Tite if you buy the 1/4" adapters.

BoardSilly
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Sears item #00926694000

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Jeepers, the machines come with two 1/4" bits mounted in their adpaters. As others have mentioned you can get ohter adapters from Sears or from CW http://www.carvewright.com/pricing.html. Note that the extra bits orderd from CW come with adapters.

You can also call CW to ask questions and order parts http://www.carvewright.com/pricing.html.

Kenm810
03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
1/4 and 1/2 inch three packs at Sears $9.99

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I personally like the 1/2" better. It sqeezes the bit tight with a wrench rather than small set screws that can get chewed up from overtightening.

HandTurnedMaple
03-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Jeepers, the machines come with two 1/4" bits mounted in their adpaters. As others have mentioned you can get ohter adapters from Sears or from CW http://www.carvewright.com/pricing.html. Note that the extra bits orderd from CW come with adapters.

You can also call CW to ask questions and order parts http://www.carvewright.com/pricing.html.

Actually, my bits from CW did not come with adapters, so I had to wait an extra 3 weeks to use them until my bit adapters came in. Only the complete bit set comes with adapters included (unless the rules have changed in the 4-6 weeks).

rjustice
03-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I personally like the 1/2" better. It sqeezes the bit tight with a wrench rather than small set screws that can get chewed up from overtightening.

Dan, One thing i do like about the set screw type is that it has less mass, which is easier on the bearings of the spindle.. I also believe that it is more likely to be balanced at the high RPM's that this machine runs at.. With that said, I am quite anxious to be able to use my standard router bits to do the edging of my projects (ex. roman ogee, etc)... it would really be nice to let the machine do those while it is set up rather than go to the router...

Now for the not-so-great news... i just went to the sears website, and the bit adapters are still back ordered... I am going to move forward with making my own. I am in the tool & die trade, and these will be simple to make once i make the setup...

My .02...

Ron

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I find that edge routing and jointing, etc,(at least for my setup) is easier done by hand.
I never really got a satisfactory edge rout all the way around ,and it was tooooo slow.
I do use it for routing a decoritive raised panal --look-- in solid sheet cabinet doors . It too is slow 5-7 passes, but mine had an arch top which I would have had to make a pattern, etc.
It has it's place , but speed is also important .

rjustice
03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
I find that edge routing and jointing, etc,(at least for my setup) is easier done by hand.
I never really got a satisfactory edge rout all the way around ,and it was tooooo slow.
I do use it for routing a decoritive raised panal --look-- in solid sheet cabinet doors . It too is slow 5-7 passes, but mine had an arch top which I would have had to make a pattern, etc.
It has it's place , but speed is also important .

Dan, so are you saying that it is pretty much a waste to order the adapters and use the standard router bits???.... I have a router table.. but thought this would be a better way to go?

Ron

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Actually, my bits from CW did not come with adapters, so I had to wait an extra 3 weeks to use them until my bit adapters came in. Only the complete bit set comes with adapters included

That's good to know. I guess I misunderstood them when I called to inquire about a bit purchase. Thanks...

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm saying ( for me) I already have tons of router bits. But I wasn't real impressed with the edge routing it did. It seemed like the near side ,next to the keypad was not as deep as the rest and it is slow ,making several passes.
When I rout an edge 3/8" roundover, I do it in one pass.
With CW were probably looking at 4 passes min.

rjustice
03-30-2007, 09:33 PM
That's good to know. I guess I misunderstood them when I called to inquire about a bit purchase. Thanks...

Jeff, I just orderd on line the 1/16 carving bit does come in the adapter but the website says that the 1/8 carving bit, as well as the 1/4 adapter, and 1/2 adapters are not available, and lets you leave an email address that they can contact when they are available...

Ron

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Sounds like there may be a difference between ordering them from LHR and Sears then?