PDA

View Full Version : X Termination Board

Cgav34
02-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Been having problems with my cut motor's RPM's idling down to nothing about a minute or so into a carve (truck still goes back and forth/up & down, just no spinning).

Finally got around to looking into it a little more, and took a look at the X Termination Board.

Not sure if it's the cause or not (hoping it is, since it's a cheaper replacement than a new motor), but I noticed what looked like some melted glue or signs of high temps? Thoughts? (P.S. - the problems started after a 10 hour carve).

fwharris
02-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Yes that resistor looks bad.

SteveNelson46
02-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Have you checked the cut motor brushes?

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Being a Electronic Guy, I am not a big fan of the Goop on the Resistors. They are designed to dissipate heat and putting a blanket on them, I believe will lead to failure. I have never seen a resistor snap off due to vibration. I have seen the lolly pop Capacitor snap off 3 times in my machines but back in the QC Days of high speed vibration.

The Resistor could be bad, but my money is on the Cut Motor Brushes like Steve suggested.

I think the goop on Resistors was not very well thought out. And just could be untrained technicians doing what they think is right with little oversite or Quality Control.

I have never had a X Termination Board burn up, but I have collected some pictures.:mrgreen:

AL

Cgav34
02-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Brushes have been replaced, so those have been ruled out.

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Then it is the Termination Board or a Crimp connector on the motor circuit.

It was posted about a year ago where a loose connection inside the cut motor was causing the same problem.

AL

DianMayfield
02-12-2018, 02:27 PM
We had a fuse in the motor that had a loose crimp. It was under the "sleeve" covering the fuse.

The resistor glue does seem awfully dark on your board. Once you get the new one in, you could look locally for replacement resistors to repair this one. One of the guys that works at my company used to do small electronics work, and replaced mine.