PDA

View Full Version : No power to Z truck

liquidguitars
03-30-2007, 11:57 AM
After running the heck out of my CW" over 100 hrs in 2 months, looks like I got a short to the Z truck, if I move the truck side to side with power on, it feels right and if I move the truck up and down its loose like with the unit unplugged.

Getting a Z stall 236 and 246 and no board Sensor infomation kinda like Sarge's prob . :cry:

Lig

rjp736
03-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Bummer, hope you get it up and running. When I had that problem they told me I needed a new sensor....still waiting for it to arrive.

liquidguitars
03-30-2007, 01:14 PM
When I had that problem they told me I needed a new sensor....still waiting for it to arrive.

I took your advice and replaced my "no window due to dust" board sensor with a new one I ordered last month, removed/cleaned the ribbon connector contacts, and moved some of the Z truck wires around, after doing so its started up.

Regarding the bit/flapper try to loosen the cover screws to adjust the top so the flex shaft will not smack up the plastic when your repaired. Works.

Thanks,
Lig

rjp736
03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Glad to hear you're up and running again !

ruggybear
03-30-2007, 08:59 PM
I have just gotten the same type symptoms. The cable going into the back of the Z Truck (flat with contacts on the end) fell out of the truck. It will not seat back into the connector. I also looked for the infamous board sensor to try to clear any dust from the window. Be darned if I can find it. It must be well hidden or I need new glasses.

Will be calling CarveWright on Monday.

Since it is a CompuCarve from Sears maybe I will just return it for a new one.

Machine has just over 25 hours on it. Got to last longer than that. That's a lot of money per minute.

Very happy with the machines capibility so far and will keep with it.

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
The ribbon cable connector is 'supposed' to latch. The latch does not work right (as we all know :( )They are gluing the ribbon cabel on with a diffrent adhesive. This helps keep the latch from popping open. The board sensor is attached to the bottom of the Y-truck, there is a very good picture on page 13 of the manual.

Sarge
03-30-2007, 11:10 PM
After running the heck out of my CW" over 100 hrs in 2 months, looks like I got a short to the Z truck, if I move the truck side to side with power on, it feels right and if I move the truck up and down its loose like with the unit unplugged.

Getting a Z stall 236 and 246 and no board Sensor infomation kinda like Sarge's prob . :cry:

Lig

I guess that's what we get, since we've been "gloating" so much......:( :( :( :(

liquidguitars
03-31-2007, 12:48 AM
I have just gotten the same type symptoms. The cable going into the back of the Z Truck (flat with contacts on the end) fell out of the truck. It will not seat back into the connector.

I added black duct tape around the ribbon and plastic shield on the Z truck and make sure it’s all tight and connected before; check the small black wires and the like.

I also looked for the infamous board sensor to try to clear any dust from the window. Be darned if I can find it.

The dust can get on the top of the window will need to remove the sensor to see it or try a mirror...

Lig

ruggybear
03-31-2007, 05:07 PM
There is no resistance when trying to push the ribbon cable into the connector. There is a black cover over the connector. Should I remove the cover and then see if I can place the ribbon cable into the connector for test purposes. The cable goes through an opening in the cover.

Still planning on calling CW on Monday.

Jeff_Birt
03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
yes remove the black cover. the ribbon cable connector is behind it.

ruggybear
04-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info Jeff. I reconnected the cable and used electrical tape to keep it in place on the dust cover. I also removed and cleaned the board sensor.

The Z truck tries to move now but still gets a Z truck stall 246. Checking the sensors and the Board sensor reads 0 to 1 only. It did that before when the cable was disconnected. I suspect that is now the problem.

Will call CW tomorrow.

Ken

liquidguitars
04-01-2007, 04:00 PM
I also removed and cleaned the board sensor.

Did you see any dust on the inside the widow and the LED? as cleaning the outside will not fix this :)

as a side note: The best way to check the sensor is with a wood board not with your hand, you should get over 100 lums but 30 will work i guess.

check the black wires running down the truck for a short on the back. I moved them to get them inside the channel.
See Jeff’s post a few months ago about this prob...

Lig

ruggybear
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Did not see any dust inside the cover. Just two eyes looking at me.

Will check the wires running down the back in the morning.

Thanks.

liquidguitars
04-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Could be one of the black wires grounding if out of the trucks race in the back, I was able to fix by moving them a little and if your lucky you will not see them at all.

Now I need a replacement chuck as all my bits are loose. I feel that a loose chuck or bit also can make CW z plunge not sure.

ref:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2298&highlight=loose+wires

ruggybear
04-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Called CW this morning at 9:15. They returned my call at 3:15 this afternoon and I talked with Omar. They want my machine back for repair and said it would take one to two weeks. Waiting for shipping label to arrive via email.