PDA

View Full Version : When do I Sleep

RBeau1954
03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
OK, I got my machine last night, have been reading the manuals for a month, did all the set up, updated the software, checked out the machine and downloaded a sample project and loaded the wood. This thing is awesome, I hope my wife doesn't mind being out in the shop with me cause I don't know if I will ever leave. My mind will not stop thinking of the possibilities. I am sure each and every one of you guys (and gals) went through this.

rjustice
03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
RB... I think i have averaged about 3 hours a night since i picked mine up last friday. I have had an awesome time with it. The wife is threating to bring my pillow out in the garage so i dont wake her up when i finally finish up for the night.. or is that day?...Hmmm they seem to be running together

Happy Carving !!!

Ron

nodwell
03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Hate to tell you this but it never ends. Got mine end of January. Since the wife and I work at same company we ride together. When we get home she heads to the house while I make a bee line to "My little house" (her name for my shop now).

Enjoy and have fun. Be sure to post pic of your work as we are addicted to pictures and patterns.

Don

BobHill
03-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Didn't you also think the same thing immediately after you got married, RBeau? :D

Bob

cajunpen
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Good reading some positive posts, from people with machines that are working.

So many negative posts, complaining about their machines (not referring to the users inquiring about legitimate problems)- it is refreshing and should offer some positive reinforcement for perspective buyers. Keep on enjoying and post pictures.

rjustice
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Bill, I am definately in my element with this thing. Talk about the best thing since sliced bread!!!... Knock on wood, i havent had a single problem yet, and already have 18 hours on the machine. The wife, Mom, Daughter, my sisters, and all of thier friends have ideas of what needs made.... pretty exciting getting it off the ground here !!!

I really do appreciate all the info on this site. It is great to become a part of it. I only hope that i can contribute in some way...

Ron

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
HA ha I was thinking that last night I was running a test project and the CC is in the wood storage room for now, right under the master bedroom! I was really tired after working all day but still had to get a test job run on the new machine. I think sound insulation will be on the short list this weekend, or divorce papers might get filed (na!) I don't want a grumpy Mrs, she was supportive on my tool buying decision.

RC Woodworks
03-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Bill, so far so good with my 4th CC!! I am waiting for the new board sensors that controls the rpm on the cut motor. But I get the check cut motor a few minutes into the project I press enter and it changes the rpm and finishes the job.

Not sure how many hours I have in the machine but my helper has been doing his job!!! With the proper carving settings this machine is awesome. So don't get frustrated if a project doesn't come out the way you want. It is just doing what you tell it to do! Give it the correct commands and your project will come out right everytime!!

MarkJamesDesign
03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I havn't even got my CC yet and I'm already obsessed. I have been working with the designer for hours and I don't even miss food or all that other stuff I used to do. I hope I can $$$ with thing because I've only put in about 4 hours of actual paying work in the last 2 days. Guess I'll get some jobs out this weekend and wait for my machine. You guys are gettin my blood pressure through the roof with all the buzz in those last few posts. Keep the good feedback coming!

BTW...I'm in the biz of selling custom signs with full color digital prints. This is going to make me never look at ink again. Wait, maybe I'll find a way to combine the 2. My head is about to explode.

Gman_Ind
03-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Funny you mention that, I have made light box's with Epson chrome inks and sold a couple of billiard room signs, bar signs, and nite lights this machine will add a new dimension to the frames, the motif can now be easily incorporated into the frame which was secondary to the artwork before.

Dirtydan
03-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Well I picked up my machine around 12:30PM to day;) . This was so easy to setup, I thought I was missing something...

It's now 3:35PM and my first practice run is complete... See Attached...:o

Made the cuts way to deep (0.250), so my next practice run will be at 0.900...

This is FUN for sure...:p

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Are you saying that 0.900 is not deeper that 0.250.
Or did you mean 0.090

Dirtydan
03-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I ment 0.090... To excited to think straight... Loading my second try now... New project.. Aircraft this time... One at 0.100 deep and the other at 0.085...

Are you saying that 0.900 is not deeper that 0.250.
Or did you mean 0.090

forqnc
03-30-2007, 07:25 PM
The wife, Mom, Daughter, my sisters, and all of thier friends have ideas of what needs made.... pretty exciting getting it off the ground here !!!

Ron

Yeah that was my problem, but everyone could come up with an idea quicker than I could design and then get more wood. :)
Just hope they all realize it's not a microwave and good things need a little time.
Good Luck carving.

Dirtydan
03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
A little Stain sure makes a big differenct. My second cut with some aircraft in the pattern, didn't come out as well as expected..

Well I picked up my machine around 12:30PM to day;) . This was so easy to setup, I thought I was missing something...

It's now 3:35PM and my first practice run is complete... See Attached...:o

Made the cuts way to deep (0.250), so my next practice run will be at 0.900...

This is FUN for sure...:p

JOHNB
03-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I Sure Hope Cw Starts Planting Another Forest (or 2) Cause We're Gonna Need It With All The Carving We're Gonna Do!!! Lol

newcarver
03-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I've had had my machine for 2 months and other than returning 1 machine, waiting for bits(have them now) upgrading to 1.120 and having several problems then reinstalling 1.115(wich fixed all of the problems), and breaking a sandpaper belt(1 week downtime), I have 75 hours logged on mine. Most of my problems are created by me. Bad designs that look good in the designer then carve like crap, is the most common. Another would be havng cutlines off slightly and/or routing lines. Beyond that I am very happy with it. I am looking forward to more patterns being posted by myself and others. Vectorart 3D is an excellent source for patterns although they are slightlt spendy. I see liquid guitar is also staring to post some. ALL IN ALL once CW gets the parts thing from china figured out, all should go smoother for us all. My machine has met my expectations and then some, options, options and more options. Sleep is over rated...

JOHNB
03-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey Newcarver, I Don't Think Your Allowed To Say Crap??? But Anyways, Jon Jantz Over At All Cw.com Says He's Gonna Have Many Patterns Very Very Soon

benluz
03-30-2007, 08:38 PM
As I work on cabinets on one side of the shop ....I can hear the carvewright on the other side just carving away.There is definitly something pleasing about a machine working alone......unattended that gives a person a satisfaction and when she doesn't want to carve.....I have to be the doctor and fix'er up, but I always learn something in the process and that gives me satisfaction as well. Now with all the pleasure this small machine gives me .....it has me thinking of bigger and better things, such as a techno 60x 96 cnc machine that will handle cutting and machining of cabinet parts for residential and commercial applications.....that should really be pleasing !...not to mention saving my back from wear and tear! Thank you Cw for opening my eyes to the world of CNC.
Ben

benluz
03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I Sure Hope Cw Starts Planting Another Forest (or 2) Cause We're Gonna Need It With All The Carving We're Gonna Do!!! Lol

Hi...my website wills soon be ready .Filled with all kinds of figured and regular hardwoods.I will post the link when completed.
Ben

MarkJamesDesign
03-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Search the web for the Multi-Cam website and watch their video of the 5000 model. It's impressive. You can also find it on You Tube.

Dirtydan
03-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, I guess I should have stocked up, but I figured Sears would be at least a couple of days late... Silly me...

If you learn from your mistakes, I'm going to be one smart, well I think you know what I mean...

Tried three different things on my last piece of wood... See Attached... Boy, am I learning fast.... LOL...

A little Stain sure makes a big differenct. My second cut with some aircraft in the pattern, didn't come out as well as expected..

meat
03-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Well, I guess I should have stocked up, but I figured Sears would be at least a couple of days late... Silly me...

If you learn from your mistakes, I'm going to be one smart, well I think you know what I mean...

Tried three different things on my last piece of wood... See Attached... Boy, am I learning fast.... LOL...
Austin Hardwoods & Hardware
610 North Santiago Street
Santa Ana, CA 92701
(714) 953-4000

Ganahl Lumber
1275 S. Bristol
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714)556-1500

Orange Coast Hardware & Lumber
2727 S. Main St.
Santa Ana, CA 92707
(714) 556-1774

...all these places, and all I can find is clear Alaskan yellow cedar, no clear red cedar anywhere! How am I supposed to make a kayak without western red cedar?

Your pal,
Meat.

RBeau1954
04-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Well, I have about 6 hrs run time on the machine with only a few minor problems. Got the hot cable today so am going out tomorrow to get some lube for it. Also started getting the "Check carve motor" message but hit enter and it finishes without a problem. Like others on here, everyone has ideas for you so looks like I am gonna miss more sleep. I will post some pics here soon on some of the things people have seen and gone nuts over.

Rick

Hanna
04-06-2007, 03:44 AM
LOL....I'm beginning to think there are more of us staying up half the night carving and designing than there are sleeping:) Yep, sleep is over rated:) And it is nice to see postings such as are in this thread. I know we all have out problems and frustrations......I'm about to post one, but that doesn't take away from the positive aspects of this whole thing. More caffeine please:)