PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hinge on Outfied Tray

mathman
02-04-2018, 11:02 AM
My 90-year old mother decided the outfield tray was a good place to hold herself from falling and snapped the hinge:

Before I randomly try various glues, does anyone know of a good glue for this repair? Thanks in advance...

David

Dale
02-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Ouch!, Hope your Mom is OK. I have had good luck with JB Weld on parts like that before.

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2018, 03:10 PM
My 90-year old mother decided the outfield tray was a good place to hold herself from falling and snapped the hinge:

Before I randomly try various glues, does anyone know of a good glue for this repair? Thanks in advance...

David

I too hope your Mom is OK.

Two options in addition to the JB Weld posted above.

One is a EYE BOLT drilled through the bottom case with a hole small enough in the eye to put the screw and an additional washer.

Second is to mount BOLT feet to the side of the outfeed tray, something as simple as screwing a small block of oak to the outside edge of the feed tray to hold a through hole bolt making a leg. This would be an addition to the JB Weld taking the weight off the weld.

Good Luck,

AL

boilermaker
02-05-2018, 06:48 PM
I have used this stuff before. It worked on a broken case where the posts connect to the base of the machine on a used A machine I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Plast-aid-Multipurpose-Repair-Plastic-Pool/dp/B004DFHSM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517877970&sr=8-1&keywords=plast+aid

mathman
02-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone - that should give me what I need. And my mother didn't get hurt any when it happened - but more recently she suffered a seizure that she's still recovering from but is doing good overall. She turns 91 tomorrow (Feb 6).

Thanks again!

David

CarverJerry
02-06-2018, 09:35 AM
That plast-aid is some good stuff. I have a large bottle of it and threw away my old jb weld, this stuff puts it to shame. Just my 2¢ worth.

mathman
05-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Just a followup - bought the plast-aid sometime last year and finally had a chance yesterday to actually try to fix the snapped hinge. Followed the directions to mix the plast-aid, pasted some on the broken hing, clamped it together and let it set for a while. Seems to be solid but haven't tried running a project through it yet. Have a project to make so hopefully I'll get to it sooner than later...