PDA

View Full Version : Image rendering for customer approval

okmatt
01-24-2018, 10:20 AM
When selling signs I often send the customers a proof of the design a carvewright screenshot. Is there any way to add color to the lettering? The customers sometimes lack imagination and I have to explain that yes the lettering will be painted I just cannot show that in the software. it would be nice if I could export the image to SketchUp or something. Any tips would be appreciated!

fwharris
01-24-2018, 01:13 PM
You can edit the screen shot in any photo editing software.

okmatt
01-24-2018, 01:17 PM
You can edit the screen shot in any photo editing software.
Do you have a recommendation for one that would easily do this without me dragging a little paint brush around?:mad:

fwharris
01-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Do you have a recommendation for one that would easily do this without me dragging a little paint brush around?:mad:

I do not know of any that will paint it on it's own.

want2b
01-24-2018, 05:47 PM
Seems like this would be something that could be added to the software. The machine only uses 'gray' but it would be an awesome thing to be able to 'color' areas of a carve for the reason you addressed and even for making gift items. We use the fonts on our system, possibly importing colors? Or just a pallette?
Rick H

MRcarvey
01-24-2018, 08:36 PM
That's exactly what I have been wanting to do! Does anybody know if something like Gimp or Paint.net will allow a color fill within a bitmap image like a screen-shot? It would have to auto select the letter outline.

fwharris
01-24-2018, 09:59 PM
That's exactly what I have been wanting to do! Does anybody know if something like Gimp or Paint.net will allow a color fill within a bitmap image like a screen-shot? It would have to auto select the letter outline.

If the area is big enough and does not bleed into the adjoining area you can use the magic wand tool to select the area and then the paint bucket tool to fill in it.

okmatt
01-24-2018, 11:01 PM
If the area is big enough and does not bleed into the adjoining area you can use the magic wand tool to select the area and then the paint bucket tool to fill in it.

What software are you referring to?

MRcarvey
01-25-2018, 12:04 AM
I just tried this with Paint.net and I think it will work. I just did it quick and dirty but with a little more care it should do the job. What I did was to save 2 screen shots of the CW piece. One with either the wood or none view and the 2nd one as the lithopane view after setting the board thickness to 0.250". This provides a grey-scale image with enough grey levels that Paint.net can distinguish them. Next I pasted these into 2 different layers in Paint.net. Crop the images so they are the same size and fit exactly over each other. On the lithopane view use the magic wand tool to select the first letter. Adjust the threshold until only the letter is selected. Use the paint bucket to fill the letter. When all of the letters (or objects) are painted then use the magic wand to select all of the regions of the lithopane that you do not want to see and press delete to remove them. Flatten the 2 layers into 1 and save as PNG.

fwharris
01-25-2018, 12:14 AM
What software are you referring to?

Most if not all photo editing software have the magic wand tool.

okmatt
01-25-2018, 08:03 AM
I just tried this with Paint.net and I think it will work. I just did it quick and dirty but with a little more care it should do the job. What I did was to save 2 screen shots of the CW piece. One with either the wood or none view and the 2nd one as the lithopane view

How do you achieve a lithopane view?

DickB
01-25-2018, 08:13 AM
Designer Pro allows you to layer two different woods. Centerline text can be made to look stained darker or colored. You can add other types of wood or solid colors to represent paint. Find the woods1 folder and add 512 x 512 jpg files.

85475 85476

SteveNelson46
01-25-2018, 08:32 AM
How do you achieve a lithopane view?

If you are referring to the lithopane view in Designer 3, on the tool bar menu select the "Woods" pull down arrow and then click on "Lithopane"

okmatt
01-25-2018, 08:48 AM
I don't have The Pro version that explains it.

MRcarvey
01-25-2018, 11:25 AM
How do you layer woods in Designer Pro? I don't remember reading about that.

MRcarvey
01-25-2018, 11:28 AM
I'm sure there is another way to turn the screen shot into grey-scale (with some other free program) without the litho view. I'll check it out later when I have more time.

DickB
01-25-2018, 11:45 AM
How do you layer woods in Designer Pro? I don't remember reading about that.Click on Board Settings - Stains/Finish. It's in the first screen shot that I posted.

Geomoo1
01-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Most graphics programs (Paint.net, Gimp, etc.) will have an option to convert to shades of gray. They might just call it by something different like "Desaturate" in Gimp or "Black and White" in Paint.net. Both of these are free programs.

MRcarvey
01-25-2018, 09:03 PM
WOW! I never noticed that before. Thanks!