PDA

View Full Version : Y rail

edsingletary
01-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Only got into carve about 4 minutes and it stops with a message, Clean Y Rails. I clean very well with a light coat of Teflon. Re start, runs a few seconds, same message, Clean again. Over and over about 8 times. I shut it off and quit for now.
I get a sick feeling in my stomach that there is more than cleaning needed.
It worked fine yesterday through 2 carves and no problems. How did it go from good to bad in my dark shop over night.
If anyone knows what I might need to do, sure could use a point in the right direction.
Thanks
Ed

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

SteveNelson46
01-22-2018, 06:14 PM
Only got into carve about 4 minutes and it stops with a message, Clean Y Rails. I clean very well with a light coat of Teflon. Re start, runs a few seconds, same message, Clean again. Over and over about 8 times. I shut it off and quit for now.
I get a sick feeling in my stomach that there is more than cleaning needed.
It worked fine yesterday through 2 carves and no problems. How did it go from good to bad in my dark shop over night.
If anyone knows what I might need to do, sure could use a point in the right direction.
Thanks
Ed

It could be the ffc cable.

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2018, 08:33 PM
The Y Gearbox is shot as in the 2 685ZZ Bearings if you have the first version. A new Y Gearbox has 2 different size bearings in them.

When the bearings fail the big plastic gear pulls toward the center of the machine and rubs against the machine U shaped frame slot it sits in.

Hopefully you catch it before the shaft of the gear gets worn. They don't sell the gear only. Just a new gearbox.

IF you have any Z Gear boxes laying around they will swap and work.

AL

fwharris
01-22-2018, 09:47 PM
The machine is seeing a resistance in movement in the Y travel. If cleaning the rails and bearings does not correct it look for a bad bearing or tighten the Y belt.

edsingletary
01-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys, I'm sure I replaced the y gear thing in 2016, along with the cut motor and some belts. My mistake was that I noted everything I replaced and even put the date, should of noted the hours. I will from now on.

Digitalwoodshop
01-23-2018, 06:30 PM
The rule of thumb is to replace the Y Gear Box Bearings every 250 cut hours when you change the cut motor brushes. Brushes are cheaper than the 1/8th inch carving bit when the motor stalls in a cut from too short brushes.

Look at the U shaped area that the Y Motor sits in. That is where when the gear wobbles from loose bearings, it rubs on the U shaped metal frame causing the error. Clean Rails. Since you cleaned the rails then this is the next step.

IF you had a white gear, you could take a marker and mark the gear on the belt side. Then when it rubs, it rubs the marker off the plastic.

edsingletary
01-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Thanks, seems like 250 is the magic number.