PDA

View Full Version : Length measurement issues

kiltedgunn
01-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Hello all! Hope your New Year is going well!

Hopefully someone can give me a clue on this issue!

My board measures 60.125 by hand, the project board is listed as 59.789 because thats what the machine insisted it measured when I started. Now, having had to replace the Y bearings mid-carve, I'm trying to restart it, but it NOW says the board only measures 59.723! And no, the board has Not shrunk 0.066 in all the cold weather we've been having! ;-)

I've been docking around with this sign since Harvey and it's been nothin but problems! Had to replace the Z motor mid-carve of the Top of the sign, then the Y bearings mid-carve on this one as I said, now This! I've remeasured about a dozen times to no avail, then I reset the calibration.854568545785458

Any clues would be appreciated!

Thx, Lee (aka KiltedGunn)

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Is that MDF? I believe it could have shrunk.... I know you don't believe it...

AL

kiltedgunn
01-21-2018, 06:34 PM
No sir, its HDU foam board...and the hand measurement is slightly over 60 inches as pictured.

otherguy
01-21-2018, 07:27 PM
is the project centered on the board length? Just wondering if you can go back into designer and change the length to match what it is saying or shorter, then it will ask to center on board vs scaling.

kiltedgunn
01-21-2018, 07:42 PM
It is centered on the board, but if I make too many adjustments now, then the bottom (this carving) won't match up to the top...plus it would change what's already been carved, if I understand correctly

CarverJerry
01-22-2018, 07:27 AM
Looks like it is actually 60.187 (60 3/16"). I'm just being picky but that is a 1/16" longer than 60.125 which is .062" longer, at least from what I can see from your picture. Are you using a sled or at least have masking tape on the bottom by the keypad side for the tracking roller?

SteveNelson46
01-22-2018, 08:18 AM
With a board that is just over 5' long you will need in-feed and out-feed support. Also, make sure the in-feed and out-feed shelves on the machine are adjusted correctly. In the past, I have had many problems with long carves and most are attributable to not keeping the board exactly level during the carve and measurement phases. Any sag on the ends will cause the board to bow in the middle and lose, or partially lose, contact with the tracking roller. Also, make sure the board edges are exactly parallel. Any variance may cause binding. Loosening the sliding plate just a little after you crank down the head may help. Head pressure is a factor also.

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2018, 10:50 AM
No sir, its HDU foam board...and the hand measurement is slightly over 60 inches as pictured.

Agree... Foam board won't shrink.

Back to the brass roller like posted above. Did the brass roller have a O ring before and not now? Or the other way around?

kiltedgunn
01-24-2018, 07:57 PM
You're right, Jerry, 60 3/16",, thanks!

No sled, I built one, but it weighs a freakin Ton! Probably shouldn't have used MDF, huh? ;)

kiltedgunn
01-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Thanks Steve! Yes, I have outfeed rollers on each end. They're the same height they were for the top piece carve, which worked fine. And yessir, the board is parallel...

kiltedgunn
01-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Thanks Al! And yessir, the O ring on the brass roller is still present...