PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a project

Bigtyme
01-12-2018, 09:53 AM
I am building a lamp out of a surveyor's tripod and transit as a donation for a group I belong to. I am trying to cut out a small table top that will fit inside the tripod legs with tabs that will slide into the 2 sides of each leg and rest on a leg support. I was hoping to be able to cut out the top using my CW, but don't seem to remember how to put the facets together and outline them. I can highlight all the aspects and simply use a bit to slightly mark them and then cut them out by hand, but the CW would do a nice job and be easier. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought I have done this before, but don't seem to remember how...

DianMayfield
01-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Try .. group them all, make pattern, outline pattern, then delete the pattern you just outlined :) It won't let me do it because you "own it"

SteveNelson46
01-12-2018, 10:26 AM
You could use the trim tool if the Designer would allow trimming on a circle. Alas, it does not. I made this one in a 3rd party drawing program and imported it as a DXF. If you need to make it into a pattern, use the line drawing tools to trace over my drawing then delete it.

EDIT: For that matter, since you already have taken the time to draw the shapes, use the line drawing tools to trace over your own drawings to create a closed shape.

Bigtyme
01-12-2018, 10:32 AM
I tried that as well, Diane, but for some reason it wouldn't let me do it either

Bigtyme
01-12-2018, 10:34 AM
That should work, Steve....thank you much...not sure why I couldn't group them...

SteveNelson46
01-12-2018, 11:08 AM
That should work, Steve....thank you much...not sure why I couldn't group them...

Your original drawing will work if you use the line tool to close the 3 rectangles. Then select everything including the circle and make it a carve region. Use the "Outline Pattern" tool. Even though it isn't a pattern the outline pattern tool will outline the shapes.

Bigtyme
01-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the lesson, Steve...appreciate it. Never know when I may need to do this again...

bergerud
01-12-2018, 12:52 PM
You could use the trim tool if the Designer would allow trimming on a circle. Alas, it does not.

The trim tool will work if you make the circle out of two arcs.