PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest in bit adapters that will hold Dremel bits?

rjustice
03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
I am curious whether there is any interest in bit adapters that would hold the 1/8" shank tools... I could also offer them in 420 Stainless prehard material. I think this would help the problem with the adapter needing to be "oiled" to keep it from sticking. I would of course also offer the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sizes as well... these would only be the set screw style at first... not the collet style... can do metric sizes as well

This is of course if carvewright isnt opposed to aftermarket parts being made????

bladesmith
03-31-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd be interested in 1/8 adapters, By the way, you could probably make a killing on 1/4" adapters right now, as CW seems to be out, Sears seems to be out,
I resorted to e-Bay to get some. Let us know the particulars regarding cost etc.
Cheers,

Bladesmith

rjustice
03-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Bladesmith... I am going to get starting on making these next week... I will figure out pricing by tuesday. It seems to me that there would be a huge demand for them, but i have had this post on for several days with no interest. What sizes do you think you will want? I know that i will be trying the sharper point dremel tools which are 1/8 shank.. and i would really like to mount up my standard router bits that do the edging which are 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 shank.

Ron

MarkJamesDesign
03-31-2007, 05:19 PM
I have a roto-zip with a bit adapter that allows 1/8" shank dremel/roto bits to be used in my craftsman router. Any reason why this adapter wouldn't chuck up into the CC 1/4" adapter? Kind of an adapter withn an adapter.

sk8nmike
03-31-2007, 07:17 PM
I'd be interested in them. How much do you plan to charge for them?

rjustice
03-31-2007, 07:25 PM
I will post the cost sometime tues. I would like to run some monday night to see how long they take.. I am sure I cant do them for what sears is charging, but I will do the best I can... I will have to invest a few hours in getting it set up and running. I hope to be around $10-$15 The more i make the cheaper they will be.

How many are people interested in ?

Ron

gtj44
04-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Today at Sears, I found 1/4" to 1/8" bit adapters. They also have an assortment of bits for carving/engraving. I tried one today in the CC since I broke my carving bit yesterday. Been having trouble with the qick release chuck releasing since day one. I belive the bit was not locked in al the way and when it went starta carving the bit dropped down and was impaled into the board, then the moved sideways breaking the bit.
Back to the 1/8" bit. I bought an engraving bit that has a very sharp point which caused some tearing in the wood surface. There are diamond bits with a 1/8" profile which I think will work better. Might give them a try tomorrow.
Sears also had a supply of the 1/2" bit adapters on hand. Also carving and cutting bits in stock via Sears.com.

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2007, 07:46 PM
A word of caution on the 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptors. If they have slits to allow squeezing by a rotary clamp system the set screws might not hold the bit properly. Just be aware.

The 1/8 inch bit holders would be a safer bet. I was some too please.

AL

gtj44
04-01-2007, 07:54 PM
These bit adapters from sears are not the split type. They have a hollow shaft for the bit to slide in. I files two detents where the screws would bite into. The adapter also has a set screw to hold the bit in. I set it uo so it would replicate the same length as the original carving bit. Also used lock tite as insurance.
I would advise anyone with a new machine to check the supplied bit adapters for lock Tite. The ones in my machine unscrewed very easily. from reading this forum, I was under the impression they came with Lock Tite.

Dan-Woodman
04-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Sounds like the same adapter you can get for the Roto-Zip.

bladesmith
04-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Ron,

Most interested in the 1/8, and possibly also 3/8. I finally acquired a supply of the 1/4 adapters, and the 1/2 still seem easy to get.

Thanks,
Bladesmith

rjustice
04-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Bladesmith...
I have not moved forward with manufacturing these yet for a couple reasons... CNC lathe schedule has been crazy, so i haven't interrupted that flow. There was also very little interest shown here, so i thought maybe i was "barking up the wrong tree"... I still desire to produce the 1/8" for my personal experimentation, and since you still have an interest, I will post on here when i get some done. It is looking like at least a couple weeks out still..

Thanks for your continued interest !

If anyone else is interested please post here or PM me to let me know about how many to make...

Ron

Gman_Ind
05-01-2007, 10:23 AM
If your 1/8" is made the same as the 1/4" and 1/2" adapters count me in as interested, I am wary of an adapter in an adapter.

eagle1
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I would be interested Also

rjustice
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Gman,

Yes they will be the solid style with setscrews from the sides... Not sleeved inside a standard one. I have checked the runout on 8 that i have purchased and found that they run out as much as .002.. which kinda suprised me. This will definately cause the machine to vibrate, and can be hard on the bearings in the spindle running at the high RPM's that we run at. I will make sure they have minimal runout... should be less than .0002...

Ron

benluz
05-01-2007, 04:54 PM
hello, Since you have metal working capabilities you may want to see if there is interest in a backup chuck as the quick change chuck can go down leaving one with stranded, I made one using a the insides of the quick change chuck and a standard bit adapter.I just tack welded the bit adapter to the tapered portion of the broken chuck leaving the 2 sets screw accessible for changing a bit, granted it's not fast but in a pinch mine worked very well and is in my tool box of extra parts to keep my cw carving in case something breaks.
Thanks,
Ben

rjustice
05-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Ben,
That is a great idea... i will work on reverse engineering a solid "emergency" chuck.

I have also thought about producing some hardened square wrenches for removing the chuck. Everyone seems to be grinding down allen wrenches to produce a makeshift tool for this. I think it would be nice to have something that fit just perfectly... what do you think???

It sounds like CW is going to make the thin wrench availabe, and have shipped it with a chuck here and there.....

Ron

benluz
05-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Ben,
That is a great idea... i will work on reverse engineering a solid "emergency" chuck.

I have also thought about producing some hardened square wrenches for removing the chuck. Everyone seems to be grinding down allen wrenches to produce a makeshift tool for this. I think it would be nice to have something that fit just perfectly... what do you think???

It sounds like CW is going to make the thin wrench availabe, and have shipped it with a chuck here and there.....

Ron

All you need it to match the threaded end that screws on the spindle then come down the same length with an inside taper to match the bit adapter and you got it ! That's why I used the insides of a broken quick change chuck. since I do not have much in the way of metal working tools other than,grinders ,welders is about it.You could probably sell everyone one on this forum one and beyond ...if the price was good....I know mine saved me from that depressing down time as we all know it.Well let me know if you need anymore info.
Ben

Kenm810
05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Ron,
Please add my name to the list, as soon as you get started on them.
Thanks

rjustice
05-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Will do Ken!

Thanks,

Ron

cycollins
05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I've seen many posts making oblique references to the Sears Quick-Release chuck and the adapters that go with them, and even some hints about their applicability to the CW Quick-Release (which from the introductory video we all watched, we remember is "Patented"). So is anyone (especially a CW someone) willing to go out on a limb and say definitively if you CAN use Craftsman Quick-Release 1/2" and 1/4" adapters witht the CW Quick-Release chuck? I was about to get a micrometer out and compare the fittings of the 1/2" Sears adapters to the 1/4" adapters on the stock bits that came with my unit. At a glance, they look quite similar, but I don't want errant bits flying around the interior of my machine. Hypothesis: is it possible that CompuCarves use the Craftsman Quick-Release, while the true CarveWright units use their proprietary Quick-Release Chuck? The reason I ask is that I hear people talking about their CW Quick-Release and it sounds a bit different than what I observe on my CompuCarve machine. Just a hunch.

Cycollins

Jeff_Birt
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
The adapters are the same, the chucks are diffrent. Both are designed by LHR.

cycollins
05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Sorry to take up more forum space with my last question. The issue is resolved and confirmed at

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...ighlight=chuck

around posts 13-16.

The answer is that the 1/2" and 1/4" adapters ARE usable, but the entire Sears Quick-Release system ought NOT to be placed on a CW unit. Kind of makes sense, I guess. Even if you're designing a new Quick-Release system, you might as well design to an existing fitting.

Not to be a gadfly, but I DID notice that there are TWO different flavors of Sears Quick-Release systems - one for the newer plunge routers and one for the legacy ones. The kits have different Sears part numbers. One wonders if perhaps the newer one might be compatible - an attempt on Sears' part to unify their product line a bit.

cycollins

rjustice
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Cycollins,

I actually did my homework, and ordered some of the sears adapters, and compared them to the ones that came with my machine, and they do indeed check within .001 on the functional surfaces (this was on 6 that i checked). I would not hesitate to use the sears brand adapters at all..

The link you posted doesnt work... could you try it again, i would like to research what you found. I am very open to critical thinking....

Ron

benluz
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Cycollins,

I actually did my homework, and ordered some of the sears adapters, and compared them to the ones that came with my machine, and they do indeed check within .001 on the functional surfaces (this was on 6 that i checked). I would not hesitate to use the sears brand adapters at all..

The link you posted doesnt work... could you try it again, i would like to research what you found. I am very open to critical thinking....

Ron

I did the same thing and as you said the chuck portion and bit adapters are the same,just the spindle connection is different.Sears has 2 types I know of ,niether are right for the cw.
Ben

rjustice
05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I just want to clarify... in the post above... i was endorsing the use of the sears bit adapters... NOT THE QUICK CHANGE CHUCK... The chuck mount is definately different.

Ron

Gman_Ind
05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I am now very interested, The reduced vibration of the 1/8" sounds great, a couple to start would be nice and put me down for a cool wrench for chuck replacement also.

rjustice
05-26-2007, 09:21 PM
All, I have finally got the time to produce and test some 1/8 bit adapters with a few different style of tools see the attached pictures. I found that on this small of a shank it isn't necessary to put a flat on the tools. You probably should put a drip of the locktite on the screw, I didnt have any problem without it during testing, but if you plan on leaving the tool set up it would be a good idea to use it. By the way, my machine runs quieter with these bits, I think due to being better balance, and near zero runout. (less vibration)

All adapters have been tested to work correctly in 3 different quick change chucks. The set screws require a smaller Allen Wrench, because the ones in the stock holders broke out on me several times. This will eliminate that problem. If you need an allen wrench be sure to let me know.

The cost for the adapter is $20 each.

If you would like an experimental tool I will include either a 1/16 or a 1/8 ball cutter for an additional $25. The 4th one from the left shows the 1/16 and the 5th one is the 1/8. I was able to get several of these at this price, but after the first batch is gone, I may need to change the price.

The other bits shown can be quoted to you upon request. While I dont have the Centerline option yet, I am pretty confident that we will be able to produce very nice smaller text with an engraving style tool which is the 1st one in the picture. The others just show dremel bits, and some standard ball cutters, which will be less cost.

If you would like better pictures emailed to you let me know. I cant get them uploaded here due to file size restrictions.

Please PM me with your order, I will accept PayPal, Check, or Money order. Shipping will be actual cost to you from Zip 43311

More goodies are in the works, such as 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 4mm, and 6mm adapters. Also an "emergency" solid chuck that will take place of the Quick change chuck. I am also working on the tool for removing the chuck.

Thanks everyone for your interest !!!

Ron

pkunk
05-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I approve this post. It is in direct interest of the Carvewright membership, and the parts are made by a member for the members & users. Commercial advertising in not allowed as per Forum Guidelines.

Kenm810
05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I already have the holes drilled in the adapter shelf for a 1/8" and a 1/16" Bit Adapters
I never could resist anything shiny and new
Thanks Ron for a great addition to my CW cabinet.

benluz
05-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I suggest everyone order a solid back up chuck when he gets them done, I made my own and they can save you a lot of down time.
Ben

liquidguitars
05-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Sears has a quick change chuck that works with the CW not sure what part number... this is on the QC manual I have from sears... 26690, 26697, 26692, 26689, or 26694

LG

rjustice
05-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I started a new thread to clarify and discuss this topic further with the approval of a moderator. This thread can be closed if you wish

http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=3678

Thanks,

Ron

PS... Hey Jeff Birt, how do you do the cool links that dont have all the path shown???

Jeff_Birt
05-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Highlight the work you want to apply the link to and then click on the icon that looks like a globe with a paper clicp under it. It will pop up a box that allows you to put in the link URL.

rjustice
05-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Anyone who hasnt heard back from me that PM'ed me please see the new thread HERE (http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=3678)... I put more information and also put a link in that post to either order or get in touch with me with questions.

Since the PM space on the forum is limited, i am afraid that i missed some messages as my space was full when i checked it once today.

I also sent messages back to a few people and didnt get responses, so i think their PM is either turned off, or full???

Thanks again, and sorry for any confusion....

Ron

pkunk
05-27-2007, 09:27 PM
simple, delete some messages from both your sent and in boxes. Check the box to the right of the messages and at hte bottom delete

rjustice
05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
simple, delete some messages from both your sent and in boxes. Check the box to the right of the messages and at hte bottom delete

Paul, I did just that, but I am curious as to what happens to messages that are sent when the box is full... are they lost in cyber land, or do they show up once you delete messages that you no longer need???

Thanks,

Ron

Dave-Carve
05-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Ill Take a few of them I have a huge collection of dremel bits I would love to use email me with details ASAP

Thank You
And nice work on the adaptors !!!!

Dave-Carve
05-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Ill Take a few of them I have a huge collection of dremel bits I would love to use email me with details ASAP

Thank You
And nice work on the adaptors !!!!
If Perferd Email D.Janvrin@comcast.net

rjustice
05-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Dave,

I tried emailing you but it keeps failing. Please send me an email here, and i will respond to you.

cw_parts@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Ron

Gman_Ind
05-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Since this thread started I have experimented with the 1/8" dremel bits and the fine vee bit looks like laser engraving, using vector cutting it is also quick.
I have my order in I would wager the bit adapter will arrive before my machine gets back from Texas.
I have seen too much chipout using the dremel adapter I hope Ron's adapter will reduce or eliminate the chipout, more accurate tool path = finer lines.

rjustice
05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Gman,

Left today... you will have in 2-3 days...

Ron

BobC33
07-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Would like more info on your 1/16" and 1/8" bit adapters. Would like to see pics of what you are offering and respective prices. Thanks!

rjustice
07-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Would like more info on your 1/16" and 1/8" bit adapters. Would like to see pics of what you are offering and respective prices. Thanks!

Bob,

See this thread HERE (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3678) .... the thread has a lot of good info, but the last post gives prices, and pictures of the items.

Thanks for your interest,

Ron