PDA

View Full Version : How long before using glued up boards

cjones
12-17-2017, 08:59 AM
I glues up 3 pieces of cedar yesterday afternoon and was wanting to know how long one needs to wait before it can be carved on. I have a 10 hour plus sign to print on it but want to make sure it will not come apart while carving.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Jones

Bigtyme
12-17-2017, 09:43 AM
I usually wait overnight. Have never had an issue doing that with boards coming apart...

fwharris
12-17-2017, 12:44 PM
I usually go by what is printed on the glue container. I should state the curing time needed before working with the wood.

Mugsowner
12-18-2017, 06:09 AM
White and yellow glues are set up well enough in 8 to 10 hours to preform work with the wood. The machine is fairly gentle in work process(as long as bit is sharp)and works with joined woods well. Before finishing I like to give 24 hours or more after glue up before sealing, just to give it a better chance of having a longer stronger glue joint life.

gwhiz
12-18-2017, 08:23 AM
I've carved glue ups after a couple of hours when i was in a hurry with no issues. I wait a day or so before finishing, but I haven't had an issue carving that soon. Usually use TB3.

jgowrie
12-19-2017, 12:25 PM
I will echo what others have said... you can pretty much run your job within a day. I have been in a hurry before and set my glue up in the morning and unclamped it and run my job 6 hours later.

cjones
12-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I glued them up in the afternoon and was able to carve the next morning. Project held together well.

Chris