PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Stall

GFewell
03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
The cutting bit snapped while crosscutting. After replacing the bit and attempting to run the machine I was prompted with a "Z" Axis Stall, Error 246, Press Stop message. I followed directions, however this message is still delivered each time I try to restart the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also attaempted to contact CarveWright but have had no success.

Regards

Dan-Woodman
03-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Mine recently did that and the most probable cause is the flat ribbon cable on the back of the head.
Where it connects to the back of the head, the cable comes loose from the connector. Neads to be pushed back in , if that fixes it then glue cable in place.
Mines going back tommorow with this same problem. I couldn't fix it here with tech help.
Now there saying it could be the truck motor or another part.
This is the first trouble I have had in 1 year.

VtBlues
04-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I have only had my machine for about 2 weeks. Ran fine the first day then started having trouble with the close cover error. Downloaded ver 1.12 and the cover error went away for about 6 hours of carving but then started getting the z axis stall and the bit was imbedded in the wood. Read up a lot in these forums and found that the problem seems to be that when you install a bit, the machine goes through a cal routine that takes it to the back of the machine. There it attempts to make contact with a flip out plate to come up with a depth cal. The plate doesn't swing out far enough to contact the bit. Doesn't seem like it ever really did as there are scrapings on the side of the plate that indicate it has been hitting the edge of the plate all along. I wedged the plat into an extended position and let it do its cal and then it started its carving just fine. Once it started to carve I opened the door and removed what I used to hold the plate extended, closed the door, hit enter and its hummin along right now. Probably not a recommended procedure but it worked and definitely points to what the problem is. Hope this helps someone.

JOHNB
04-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi Vtblues; Try This On A Fix For Bit Finder, Although I Ended Up Using A Large Allen Wrench When The Cutting Head Moved Towards It. I'll Try To Post It -if Not It Is Somewhere On Forum..

Mike
04-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree with Dan. Check that ribbon cable REMEMBER to unplug your cover switch wires before you take the top off. NEVER attempt ANY procedure with the power on! If you fry a board it may take a while to get another one. I had the same problem at one time and it was a faulty board that could not keep the ribbon cable secure. Sent me new boards and worked out many problems. Also I am using a custom made SEARS tool for my bit flipper. They call it a Hacksaw blade that is bent on the end. IT is surprisingly inexpensive.
Mike

liquidguitars
04-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Doesn't seem like it ever really did as there are scrapings on the side of the plate that indicate it has been hitting the edge of the plate all along.

One thing that can help this prob:

Turn the power off/remove bits keep cover on. Move the truck manually to the right to engage the arm, “is it moving the bit cam?” look for anything blocking access to the cam including the flexible shaft.

Check to see if your flex shaft is hitting the plastic cut out on the top cover as it seeks the index arm. The slack of the flexshaft and wires needs to be tight in the housing in the back after replacing the cover from a repair.

http://www.liquidguitars.com/flapperR001.jpg

Jbyrd61
04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I have been having the same error and sending emails about it to CW and just now found out about this forum. my flash card manager has also tried to send the error message and gets stuck as well with a send error. does anyone have any suggestions?

Jeff_Birt
04-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Are you meaning that when you upload to your card it asks you to send in the error report from a previous machine error? If you are clicking yes you need to have an internet connection going. Your anti-virus and/or firewall may be blocking it too.

Jbyrd61
04-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I have turned off the virus and firewall protection and it still does not complete the error send. I have checked to see if the tracking is clear and there appears to be no obstructions, and even tried removing the clip on the bottom to see if that was the problem and it still stalls when it reaches the right side of the machine when preparing to carve.

rjp736
04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
FYI. When you send those error messages it can take sometime to send....depends on how much info your sending. I've had some that took a couple minutes to send. It has to upload them, then send it so be patient. I thought I had a problem too but it finaly went through. Good luck.

Jeff_Birt
04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
jbyrd61, what firmware version are you running?

Jbyrd61
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I started with the firmware that came with my compucarve and then downloaded 1.20, but the problems still remains. I get a zaxis stall error code 246 when I try to start my machine after selecting the carving bit. the motor starts and spins the bit then it measures the board, then moves to the right and stalls. occasionally when trying to restart it comes up with an error code of 236.

Jeff_Birt
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
There is a pdf in the sticky at the top of the troubleshooting section the describes a series of things to check for this problem. Go through this document and see if it helps.