PDA

View Full Version : Good hardwood choices

MRcarvey
12-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Off and running with me new (old 'A') machine. I updated it with the CT and dust hood. Made a few carves in pine following all of the great recommendations all of you provide, FAQ's, Tips & Tricks and videos. The results have been amazing! I want to put together a few Christmas gifts and wondered what types of hardwood you-all use? What carves well? What is good to stay away from? I have some oak and cherry at my disposal. I know that cherry likes to burn when cutting and sanding. Does it carve well?

gwhiz
12-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Cherry, maple, & walnut are the three woods that I carve the most.

Dale
12-09-2017, 09:31 PM
I use alder a lot.

Mugsowner
12-10-2017, 06:10 AM
The tight fine grain woods seem the best for carving. Oak carves nice with a sharp bit.

Bigtyme
12-10-2017, 09:38 AM
I agree with gwhiz. Cherry, Maple and walnut are my top choices. They carve very well.

oscarl48
12-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Those are my main go to lumber species as well. Walnut gives me the best results but as a dark wood has some limitations. Maple is my second go to lumber. Cherry is softer and there may be a bit more sanding depending on the pattern and carving setting. I don't use oak as much due to the grain but for plaques that I will stain it is good and good results but you want tight grain. African mahogany is good but if the grain is more open it will mean some sanding will be needed as well. Beech and ash I've only carved a few times so limited experience but they carved well.

For special occasions, purple heart and padauk are amazing but really pricey. They leave a razor sharp detail and edge though. How do I know? Sliced my finger on an edge as I was moving the carved board. They are also tough on the bits. They are really hard wood lumber.