PDA

View Full Version : Resharpened bits report

myshop1044
12-07-2017, 06:31 AM
I just removed one of my resharpened bits from Nelson Beadel, I have put over90 hrs on this bit.
I was doing a special project and wanted to go with a new bit.
Nelson did a very good on my old bits. You have some used bits, give him a try.
Perry B.

allenjones
12-09-2017, 10:26 AM
I just removed one of my resharpened bits from Nelson Beadel, I have put over90 hrs on this bit.
I was doing a special project and wanted to go with a new bit.
Nelson did a very good on my old bits. You have some used bits, give him a try.
Perry B.

I have tried Nelson, my bits did not work good in spruce. Sent 18 to have reshaped. Back to using new bits. Nelson changed the geometry of the bits which worked for a few signs before they started ripping the wood. They might work good in hard wood but not much luck in soft wood. Some of them would even flip my breakers in the shop from overload. Not impressed at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cestout
12-09-2017, 02:36 PM
They work ok but don't have the longevity of new bits and carving bits last longer than cutting bits. But for not much money I am getting a few more hours from my old bits.

allenjones
12-09-2017, 10:12 PM
They work ok but don't have the longevity of new bits and carving bits last longer than cutting bits. But for not much money I am getting a few more hours from my old bits.

Sometimes they work good but lower quality of carve. I’m going to see why he changed the cutting angle of the carving bits after Christmas rush. They roll a very large burr or wood chip which makes the bit dull fast. If he’s not going to keep the original geometry I probably won’t use him again. I’m concerned the tools can’t be fixed he ground way too much metal off them. I do know a company close that does this type work. We used them in manufacturing to sharpen our dull drills. I think I’ll go see them after Christmas and see if they would be willing to try sharping them. They have very hi tech equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk