PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished project

rgant05
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Here is one that I have almost finished. Still have a small pipestone medicine wheel that will go below the beadwork. Thanks to Mike (autobody) for his post of the ptn file for this frame. Sized it to approx 9"W x 11 1/2" H. Cut in 3/4" poplar with .5" deep setting & 100 height setting. Rather than have the machine cut out the outline I left the inside (approx 1/4" thick) to provide a base to put everything on and manually cut out the outside (which I would do a cut path if I did it again--a lot of work on the bandsaw and cleaning it up too.) Stained with Colonial Maple, and Red Mahogany (pine cones). May still try some transparent green oil paint on the leaves and poly shade tan stain on the rawhide ties to see how that works.

Mitakuye Oya'sin

Roger

Mike
03-29-2007, 02:54 PM
nice work RG. I cut one of these in a 4 x 6 oak. The bit got so hot I had to lift the cover and let it cool down a bit. I would only cut this in soft wood as it turns everything else into sawdust. Good Work you dog lover!~

rgant05
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
LOL, well I guess my work wasn't THAT good..... its a Wolf :)

Mike
03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Wolfs is dogs!! LOL

forqnc
03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Stained with Colonial Maple, and Red Mahogany (pine cones).
Did you stain the frame then hand stain the cones with a small painters brush?

Looks good, I downloaded the same pattern, yet to try, warming up around here and grass needs cutting so I'm stuck with servicing lawn tractors right now. :(

rgant05
03-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes, I did go back after the first stain and used a small oil painters brush about a 1/4" wide to put in the red mahogany. Since that picture was made I have done a little more detail work putting transparent oil paint in sap green, on the leaves, and sienna brown on the raw hide ties. Both add a little bit of contrast and detail to the project. It is a really nice frame. I am glad that Mike scanned it and was willing to share it with us. I hope to use it many times. I would like to find several other variations of "nature oriented" frames like that, but suspect they are few and far between. You can resize this one nicely and fudge a little bit with the width to length ratio without messing it up too much.

forqnc
03-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the tip, I never thought about stain on stain.