PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading software?

forqnc
03-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has had/or has this occurring on their computer. Last week I experienced what I believe to be spy ware problems on my home computer. When I was looking in the Add/Remove programs I noticed I had 4 installs of my Carve Wright software, all showing 79mB. I am assuming this will be for the four upgrades 1.13, 1.15, 1.19 and finally 1.20. I never uninstalled any when upgrading since I thought they would overwrite each other leaving my registration intact. At work I have only installed the software once (1.15).

Does anyone know if you are supposed to uninstall previous versions before installing an upgrade? And does this mean re-registering each time?

SpiffyDog
03-29-2007, 02:16 PM
When you're in the Add/Remove Programs screen, click the software application and then click on the "Click here for support information". This will tell you what version it is. You should then be able to selectively remove as needed.

Greybeard
03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
forqnc - before you delete any older versions, it might be worth considering just renaming them to, say, "old...exe".
Several users have said that going back to an earlier version sorted out a problem temporarily. It is only a stop-gap measure instead of having the problem stop you dead in the water, but may be useful in the future.
Just my 2 groats worth.
John

ps hope the spyware was a false alarm and all is well.

rgant05
03-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I am not all that knowledgeble on computers, hense my doing battle with them daily, but I suspect that the upgrade installations ARE a type of overwrite and that if you wanted to go back to an earlier version that you would have to uninstall it and install that earlier version with from a distrubution file. My guess is also that if you were to delete or uninstall any of the earlier installs from within ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, you would damage or eliminate your current program. Personally I would leave it there....its not hurting anything.

forqnc
03-29-2007, 04:53 PM
forqnc - before you delete any older versions, it might be worth considering just renaming them to, say, "old...exe".
Several users have said that going back to an earlier version sorted out a problem temporarily. It is only a stop-gap measure instead of having the problem stop you in the water, but may be useful in the future.
Just my 2 groats worth.
John

ps hope the spy ware was a false alarm and all is well.

With regard to renaming, I have all the .exe download versions saved on a partition, hopefully safe unless the hard drive physically goes down. So should be able to re-install if needed.

(Note to self to record to CD at some point).:rolleyes:

The spy ware appears not to have been a false alarm, but I formatted my C partition Friday night and all is well so far. Thanks for the well wishes.

Edit to remove personal question.

bobreda
03-30-2007, 06:19 AM
I just did the same thing, apparently they don't overwrite the older versions.
\
Bob